Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: HUGE flop

At the risk of dragging this out further...

I check here. I suspect it's because I play at lower limits where bet=I have something, check=I have nothing (at least that's as deep as the fish thought processes go).

But does this mean in the same situation with missed overcards we check rather than bet? The message I seem to be getting is that a continuation bet is likely to be raised, while a check gets a free card. So why do we ever continuation bet at all?

Am I missing something?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:01 PM

You should always be betting here, IMO. It simply will never help you to check after being the preflop re-raiser against a loose opponent. If the opponent were tight and you knew you were behind once he calls your re-raise (say it was multi-way preflop when you re-raised) then you might check/fold the flop. But when you are either likely to be ahead or definitely are ahead, you should be betting. If you want to induce action, bet small. If you don't want to, bet large. This is assuming he's bad. If he's good, you obviously have to mix up your small and big bets with all holdings or just always bet some standard amount.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had a hand the other day where I raised with 65s and got reraised by the BB and I called.

The flop was J73 and he checked to me. Most people advocated that I bet here to steal hoping that he has a missed AK/AQ and gives up.

It seems that that advice contradicts the advise Im getting here. Here people are saying that a check from a preflop reraiser looks like a trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre also in position on that hand, which changes a lot

checking OOP after re-raising from the blinds is suspicious

also on that hand i think you have more folding equity on the flop than if you checked the flop and bet the turn instead, because if you check the flop in that hand, villain is more likely to want to get to showdown.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Im confusing the issue here by bringing up the 65s hand but let me try to clear this up.

In my 98s hand, I am the preflop reraiser. Forget what cards I have for a sec. I am the preflop reraiser. Im out of position.

In my 65s hand...HE is the preflop reraiser. HE is out of position.

Both hands, the BB is the preflop RE raiser and both times the reraisor is out of position...

So if it was correct for ME to bet my 65s being in position even after the reraiser checked to me on a J73 flop......then how can anyone say that ME checking the 998 flop after being the reraiser looks like a trap?

By the advice given in the earlier 65s hand where I was advised to bet when he checked to me.....that would mean that the VILLIAN in this 98s hand with the 998 flop should bet when I check to him (even though people have said it looks like a trap when I check).

It cant be both ways.

Either checking after reraising out of position looks trappy or it doesnt.

If it does, then I shouldnt have bet my 65s with the J73 flop when the reraisor checked to me because hes trapping me.

This hand....he raised $6..I reraised to $26 with 98s...998 flop. Im out of position

That hand...I raised to $16 with 65s (it was $2/$4 so it was still 4BBs)...BB reraised to $38. Flop was J73 and he cheecked to me. I was told by KKF and others to bet pot (and now most people are saying that that would be wrong because Im being trapped based on preflop reraiser checking a flop)

Im not sure you can really tell that its a trap by checking after reraising. Alot of people wont make a big continuation bet with AK after reraising and being out of position because they assume the orignal raiser has a big pair since they called the reraise and that theyre not going to fold on a 998 flop.

So I think that checking this 998 flop can allow him to either catch up..or let him bluff at me.

I hope I didnt confuse the hell out of everyone with the 2 hands.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Ah okay, yeah, you confused things. When he checks to you, he's trapping. You should take your free look at your gutshot.