Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Are you getting the help you need?

Do you think that you are getting the help that you need in the forums?

Are the forums here to give you that help?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Are you getting the help you need?

well, from the options out there, i'd say that the effort / return ratio is highest with online forums.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 PM

I've never checked out any of the other forums, honestly. I probably should I guess. Without these forums I don't know if I would have found Poker Tracker, GT+, PAHud.. probably would never have thought of bonus whoring, rakeback, playing multiple tables.. and would probably still be playing Axs UTG 100% of the time at UB's .25/.50 game.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:59 PM

I don't always find what I'm looking for, when I look for something specific. OTOH I've gotten lots of good info and many belly laughs from casul browsing.

Overall it's been a very worthwhile thing to be involved with the forums here.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM

Are you talking about good psychological advice or more generally? Are you talking just this forum or all the other forums on this site (e.g. internet gambling, small stakes hold 'em, etc.)?

For me, I have gotten plenty of use on these forums. I think the most important thing is that the forums help me to think about the game. I like the debate on the site, even though some people can be a bit ill-mannered behind the computer screen. The better posters certainly dislike these mofos.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the most important thing is that the forums help me to think about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2005, 09:58 PM

I used to find most of 2+2 very educational, but that has rapidly declined in the last month. Athouth it is for good reason. As I've educated myself and progressed from limit to limit I find less and less of the info useful, but only because I've gotten better over time and worked very hard to do so. As a whole the quality of the info has dropped significantly. This is mostlikely due to the huge growth rate of this site. More and more new players every day with plenty to learn and contribute but little to offer the more experienced players. Needless to say, I find myself giving more and more advice and having to really search for anything helpful to me. Alas, I continue the never ending quest to make myself the best player I can possibly be.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to find most of 2+2 very educational, but that has rapidly declined in the last month. Athouth it is for good reason. As I've educated myself and progressed from limit to limit I find less and less of the info useful, but only because I've gotten better over time and worked very hard to do so. As a whole the quality of the info has dropped significantly. This is mostlikely due to the huge growth rate of this site. More and more new players every day with plenty to learn and contribute but little to offer the more experienced players. Needless to say, I find myself giving more and more advice and having to really search for anything helpful to me. Alas, I continue the never ending quest to make myself the best player I can possibly be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you find that giving advice is helpful to you? Don't you have to review what you know, and carefully craft an accurate response? If so, the forums are helpful even now. If not, you may not have learned as much as you thought. Sure some of the stuff is ABC, but I have always found teaching to be as educational as being a student.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you find that giving advice is helpful to you? Don't you have to review what you know, and carefully craft an accurate response? If so, the forums are helpful even now. If not, you may not have learned as much as you thought. Sure some of the stuff is ABC, but I have always found teaching to be as educational as being a student.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. Malmuth said that writing has helped him in poker. I'm sure much of what has written is "elementary" to him as well.

Also, unless he has mastered and is done moving up in stakes, he probably has more to learn from the forums (e.g. high stakes limit hold 'em, etc.).

But he's probably right with the diminishing returns and the lower grade posts. I've only been around here for a year, but I'm sure it's become more of a zoo in lots of the forums.