Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Hmm River Decision...

[ QUOTE ]
just a note to n00bs:

when you have a 2 card flush, i NEVER put someone else on a flush draw. It's just too rare, and you'll win more when they DONT than you'll lose the few times that they DO. That said, 3 bet this mofo. For each time you lose to a higher you'll win with a flush much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Don't make broad, sweeping generalizations like this one. Certainly, having flush over flush is rare, but you should constantly be evaluating what kinds of hands your opponent has and how his actions and reactions further narrow the scope of his hand range.

Furthermore, player types have every thing to do with this analysis. If the most loose passive player comes completely alive on a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board and doesn't slow down on the turn, then you have to start thinking about getting to showdown and/or collecting the equity that you make by raising him by going for overcalls.

Saying, "Never put your opponent on a higher flush" is a relative (and getting dangerously close to being), "Fit or fold".

Later.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just a note to n00bs:

when you have a 2 card flush, i NEVER put someone else on a flush draw. It's just too rare, and you'll win more when they DONT than you'll lose the few times that they DO. That said, 3 bet this mofo. For each time you lose to a higher you'll win with a flush much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really mean this. When you have a 2 card flush (your two cards complete a flopped flush), you should NEVER assume that somebody else has a two card flush without having extra (very solid) information on them. Putting someone on a flush draw (one heart) is a very reasonable thing to do.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Thoughts/Results

FLOP : The majority of the time, I find this to be an easy/standard bet/3bet situation. I think I got too fancy and assumed a few things would happen: 1)Button betting flop 2)SB playing back at him (BTW, 1+2 seemed ridiculously probable given the action from previous hands). Is that a bad approach regardless?

TURN : Standard. When button checked the flop, I "ruled" out the possibility of him having something containing the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], so I found his CC to be very odd.

RIVER : Button wakes up when an irrelavent 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] drops and SB calls 2. I ended up 3betting, Button capped and SB dropped out. I call and sure enough he has AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. My big question regarded the river play. A river bluff-raise vs two opponents seemed highly unlikely. I 3bet largely because of the presence of SB. In general, should I bet 3betting situations like these ONLY if I'm capable of folding to a cap?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just a note to n00bs:

[/ QUOTE ]

This has not been my experience. My low flushes get run over with wild abandon. I am willing to chalk this up to sample size. But if you think your flush is beat, you might be right. Proceed with caution.

Though, in this hand, I would expect to see your steamer with a strait on the river. Jam the pot.

-D

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Ive been busy w/ MCAT studying but once that is over this week ill make a search for a post i had a few months prior when i asked the same question- basically how often is my flush beat by another flush. the conclusion was not often enough to prevent you from jamming the pot - unles there is a straight flush possibility or a paired board (boat maybe).

I think it's just sample size. Or, are you playing below .50/1?

[/ QUOTE ]

22K hands at .5/1 and 1/2. Is there a reasonably easy way to dig these hands out of PT?

I might just be remembering the times it happens and forgeting the times my low flush walks. But honestly, I can't recall a single flush with a high card lower than a J working for me. I lost a giant pot last night when the 4th flush card hit the river and the AA I was up against with my 89s ended up with the flush. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-D
Old 08-17-2005, 01:43 AM

Based on the fact that we shouldn't fear an overflush, did I play this correctly?

edit: I was 85% certian the button would bet.

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO checks, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (15.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:48 AM

Dude bet the flop! Your hand can't withstand a checkthough.

Brad
Old 08-17-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude bet the flop! Your hand can't withstand a checkthough.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that it couldn't withstand anything less than a checkraise. The bettor on the flop could pretty much be trusted to bet.

What would I do if I had bet it and gotten 2 or 3 callers? Thats what I felt would happen. Since I didn't have a plan for that and felt I couldn't fold, I went for the C/R. These low flopped flushes make me very nervous.

Putting aside the mistake on the C/R, how bad is the rest?

-D