Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Debate: Overweight people and airplanes

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
That's not entirely true. I have no idea what percentage of people this would apply to, but there are glandular problems that can cause obesity.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Obesity is caused by consuming more calories than you burn. It's that simple. The glandular problems you refer too are probably the very few people whose mechanisms for telling the body it is satiated are compromised. For the rest, and that is almost all obese people, it's because their eat too much and exercise too little.

[/ QUOTE ]

the key here is that different bodies burn calories at different rates. some people can do absolutely no exercise and eat everything in the world and never gain weight. that's just the way it is.

i love how people think that every overweight person in the world is some kind of food maniac who eats pies cakes and ice cream non stop.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the key here is that different bodies burn calories at different rates. some people can do absolutely no exercise and eat everything in the world and never gain weight. that's just the way it is.

i love how people think that every overweight person in the world is some kind of food maniac who eats pies cakes and ice cream non stop

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes ok people have different metabolisms but obese people are not obese because of this. It's because when they do stop eating pies, cakes and ice cream they watch TV. As someone said earlier, it ain't rocket science.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:28 PM

I think the best solution would be to have 3 different widths of seats available in economy class with pricing proportional to the width. To be eligible for the smaller seats you would need to have a hip measurement below a certain threshhold.

There's nothing discriminatory about it imo because the larger something (or someone) is, the more expensive it is to transport it (or him), plain and simple.

As for obesity being a disease, all I can say is that my money is on those who think it isn't to get "cured" faster than those who think it is.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:38 PM

1) If a person is over a certain size (which the airline should specify), then yes. Some people are so large that it really is absurd to have them in 1 seat. That said, the limits need to be pretty high and set in stone to avoid disputes.

2) I see what you're getting at. I think you're buying a "seat," but there should be limits on how much space you can take up. It's like carry-on bags. There's a reason you can't bring 50 of them.

3) No, it's not discrimination, it's common sense. The majority of very overweight people are not faultless in their size.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one exception is if someone is so large as to make the use of the seat beside him impossible. Then he is implicitly costing the airlines money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what we're talking about, dood.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's not entirely true. I have no idea what percentage of people this would apply to, but there are glandular problems that can cause obesity.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Obesity is caused by consuming more calories than you burn. It's that simple. The glandular problems you refer too are probably the very few people whose mechanisms for telling the body it is satiated are compromised. For the rest, and that is almost all obese people, it's because their eat too much and exercise too little.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how people think that every overweight person in the world is some kind of food maniac who eats pies cakes and ice cream non stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

~D