Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Adjustments to your game

Is it possible to tell if an adjustment (say raising more in the CO) to your game has helped your win rate?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Adjustments to your game

This is a very intersting idea, that is finding a facility that lets you "backtest" a complete system of play.

As far as I know there is no computer program available to do this. Stock traders have many products to choose from that can backtest a mechanical system, such as MetaStock.

Poker players have no such tool as far as I know. I've been thinking along the same lines.

As it stands, you can only "forward-test" little tweaks like upping your raise % when in the CO. To test this you'd have to assume a static field of opponents.

Does anyone knmow if Wilson TTH can handle this kind of processing?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To test this you'd have to assume a static field of opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't my play need to be static also?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 AM

Yes. What would be a cool tool is somthing that lets you select a field of opponents from a 'palette' of opponents with typical and atypical styles. The ability to define players and later name a collection of these (a "table") would also be cool.

Next thing is a complete definition of your typical pre-flop standards against these opponents (this table). There would be a ton of detail here to fill in.

One of these would be your % raise from the CO, one of a great many variables you can vary.

Then click [submit] and run the thing for say 3.5 million random hands and see the comparitive results for several "% CO pre-flop raise" variable values.

Of course this will never get built since the market of players that care about this is microscopic.

Only winners would have the commitment (and associated obsessed compulsion) to find out this kind of information about their poker game.

99% of the players would never buy this tool, of the 1% that buy, half would probably barely ever use it because they are fooling themselves about being true students of the game.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone knmow if Wilson TTH can handle this kind of processing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what backtest means - but if you mean rerun exactly the same hands using a modified strategy, then it can't.

What it can do is run a large sample though for before and after the strategy change.

TTH is not that good at setting strategies though, I reckon. A lot of my betting depends on how many callers there are, for example (eg will play Kxs OTB if 4 or more callers or small suited 0/1-gap connectors if 3 or more callers, for example), but TTH doesn't have that way of strategy setting at all. It's all about 'what's the minimum calling hand to a caller in late' type stuff without regard to number of callers.