Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Pool players, learning to play to win a bet

[ QUOTE ]

The only technique-advice I have is to get way down low and look down the length of your cue find the spot on the OBJECT ball (not the cue ball) that makes a direct line to the pocket and make sure the cue ball hits that spot precisely. Take a moment and line your cue stick with that spot on the object ball, really fixate on that specific spot; then back away never taking your eyes off that spot and line the cue stick up so it makes a direct line through the cue ball directly to that spot on the object ball. Make a nice even stroke (takes lots of practice) and make the cue and object balls connect.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, nothing in pool is that simple. suppose you wanted to cut a ball as thinly as possible, as close to a 90-degree angle as physically possible. so you want to the cue ball to contact the object ball all the way on the side. well now, according to your instructions, you would aim the center of the cue ball at the side of hte object ball. unfortuantely, because the cue ball as width, it will not hit the outer edge--it will hit half-way in between the outer edge and the dead center. and you will get a 45-degree cut, not a 90-degree cut.

you have to use a complex system of estimation: 45-degree = half ball hit. 77-degree = quarter ball hit. etc. it is a cruel game. practice and more practice is the only way.

note also, spin on the cueball will affect the correct contact point, as will to a smaller degree speed of the cueball. but, because of friction ("throw"), the correct contact point given a cue ball with no side spin ("english") is in fact not the point directly opposite the target. it just gets worse and worse.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Pool players, learning to play to win a bet

[ QUOTE ]
you are fooked.

My advice, lots of practice, and hope you are some sort of naturally gifted pool freak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you're hosed.
If your opponent is really 'quite good', you have a very slim chance of beating him. Yes, you may get lucky, but the odds are against you.

There's a possibility that your current definition of 'quite good' will change after 6 months of practice. By that I mean that you may pick up some very practical skill and fundamental understanding of the game and realize that this opponent is really 'just average'.
Compared to your original 'I really suck' skill, 'just average' may look like 'quite good'.

If this is the case, your 6 months may put you somewhere around a coin flip.
If this is not the case, and he really is 'quite good', you will not win a straight 7 game race (very outside chance if it's 9-ball). One suggestion I have is to learn to play soft shots. If you're gonna miss, block the friggin pocket.