Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 09:25 PM

Default Gut shot draw!!

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Yes I do sometimes limp with this hand ( around 1:10 ) but it is not often. My question is not about my preflop play..

Flop: (8.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

I have a gut shot stright draw and a backdoor flush draw ( 5.5 outs ) so I thought it was OK to call. Did not like the raise and reraise but I still think I had the odds to call here too..

Turn: (10.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP3..., Button....

I had the odds to call with my gut shot but not if someone raise after me again. So I folded. Right or wrong? Should I have thought of implied odds too?
How shall I think in this situation?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Gut shot draw!!

You hand is 6th best hand you could be dealt, absolute must raise preflop, everytime.

Here's the problem with your flop call is that this board there is likely going to be a raise behind you. Yes you have nearly 5.5 outs but are not closing the action and the preflop raiser came from LP, fold the flop.

Peace,
Joe Tall