Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Should I have slow played here?

Let me know how I played this hand.

I decided to slow play trips on the flop. Then I was re-raised on the turn. The player was fairly tight, so I wasnt sure if maybe he also had trips or better, yet wasnt sure if he necessarly had better trips. So I thought I ought to call him down. (I assumed FISHY had nothing relevant, he was involved frequently with small pairs and all sorts of below average hands)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 :#A500AF(FISHY)/ calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB :#A500AF(TP)/ checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, TP checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, FISHY calls, Hero calls, TP calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, TP checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">FISHY bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TP 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, FISHY calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">TP bets</font>, FISHY calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
Old 11-28-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Should I have slow played here?

Unraised pot and the board is drawless on the flop.

I like betting out or check-raising the flop(if there is an aggro player to my left).

The way you played it - what if 'FISHY' does not bet the turn and it checks through? That would have been bad. If you lost this hand that is just how it goes sometimes.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:08 PM

if you c/r the flop people will not often give you credit for trips. i c/r flop and lead turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Thanks that makes sense.

I actually lost to a boat, TP had 33. But I figured that wasnt very relative to the hand.

I actually was going to check raise at first but after I saw that I had 3 other players in it I somehow thought it would be a good hand to try to slow play. But like you said though it would of sucked if the turn got checked thru. (probally easier to slow play if I wasnt OOP)
Old 11-28-2005, 11:39 PM

Against the typical low limit lineup slowplaying isn't necessary, but this is the kind of situation where you could consider doing so (unraised pot, rainbow flop with no draws).

I usually bet the flop or try to get in a check-raise if I have a likely bettor to my left.

I think you played it fine, given your choice of plan. You can't fold, and putting in more raises seems like a bad idea, so just call down after Villains 3-bet.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:12 PM

I think you played it fine.

Slowplaying sucks.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Slowplaying sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Just bet the flop. Nobody will believe you. Going for a c/r against this field on this board kinda sucks imo. What draws can they bet? What pairs? I think it gets checked through too often and if a late position player bets, you probably can't raise.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Slowplaying sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Just bet the flop. Nobody will believe you. Going for a c/r against this field on this board kinda sucks imo. What draws can they bet? What pairs? I think it gets checked through too often and if a late position player bets, you probably can't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize now that my comment makes no sense. I thought Hero bet out, not check/called. Uggh.

Do what Jake said. I don't know why you didn't bet the flop. Since you didn't do that, you should have at least check-raised, but betting is better.

The non-confusing part of last statement still stands:

[ QUOTE ]
Slowplaying sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 PM

I was actually planning on check-raising but then I changed my mind and called, hoping to pick up more bets on the turn.

But as someone else mentioned the real problem with all of this is I ran the risk of having the TURN checked thru which would of really stunk, so I should of just bet out the flop and let them all along, like you said they werent likely to put me on a 9 anyway.