Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

My wife and I discussed this. We would give a good portion more to our parents and siblings and the rest would be cut up evenly.

I really can't imagine having this amount of money and still watching everyone important to you have to deal with the trials and tribulations of a full time job and struggling to make ends meet. That doesn't make sense to me.

Peace

Goodie
Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine anyone winning this amount of money and not giving a good chunk to their parents. That's beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I commend you for your generosity. I think most people would see that their parents and close relatives were taken care of. The definition of 'taken care of' will vary based upon individual circumstances.

Here's an interesting twist: If your parents or uncle won the $400 million, would it be your expectation that they cut you a check for $50 million because they have more than enough to live on? I will predict your answer would be, "Of course not." If so, rethink my previous posts and see if you get where I am coming from.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Very big difference between parents and uncle. If my parents won that amount, yes, I would definetly expect them to give me and my brother enough of a portion so that we could retire right now. That's because I know my parents and know for a fact that they would want to do this for us.

As for an uncle, I certainly wouldn't expect it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Peace

Goodie
Old 10-04-2005, 08:27 PM

Big difference is, im not talking millions and im not talking parents. If I won 500 million my mother would obviously be retiring and moving to wherever she wanted.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Am I in the wrong or something because this view is shared by more than one person... people just seem to want something for nothing. I do NOT just go around telling random people I don't know about what i've won, i just tell friends because most of them know I play, and then they tell others and it comes up when talking with acquantinces. I WOULD give away money to a close friend in a situation if he needed it for a legitimate purpose other than just wanting it to have it. Anyone else had experience with this? Whats your view and how do you respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong and one cheap bastard. I always step up and loan money to anyone who asks as long as they are less fortunate than I.

I tell them, "I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I only loan money to people I feel I can have a very special relationship, and you are one of those people, so I'm going to loan you the money. The bad news is I first need to take a crap, so lay down and open your mouth."
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who ever said I was trying to make the most financially sound stradegy? I would be trying to create the highest level of happiness for all the important people in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what MC Hammer said and look at him now, im just saying...
Old 10-05-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In my poker career theres been times where id literally loan my mom tons of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, unless it was pennies, you are a weathy, weathy man.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In my poker career theres been times where id literally loan my mom tons of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, unless it was pennies, you are a weathy, weathy man.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, weathy??

and its ok b/c my mom has a good real estate business and is just cash poor, ya know...'bout 24k all tolled to the laon...she also did at one point take care of me for well...my entire life lol...so that earns her no interest although she says she'll pay the full tax on it for me...i say thats fine.

Barron
Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 AM

MC Hammer is a bit of a different situation. I'm not saying that I wouldn't take care of myself and my wife. We would have plenty left over to live comfortably for the rest of our lives.

I honestly don't understand why I'm getting so much disent to this idea. I think it's incredibly greedy and heartless to not look at this situation in the way that my wife and I do.

Peace

Goodie
Old 10-05-2005, 09:36 AM

I think the reason you are getting resistance is that you advocate just cutting checks to all your relatives and maybe a few close friends.

I think most of us would ensure that our parents and close kin never had money worries again, but we wouldn't just cut them a check.