Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:56 PM

Default AK hand in the party 500k.-I think I made a terrible mistake.

Blinds are 500/1000. I'm in the BB with T-19603 and get dealt AK of clubs. The villian T-35796 who is right before the hijack open raises 3k.

It folds to me what do you do? Comments below-

Now this is what I thought preflop when it got to me. I thought a)that I had a huge hand. I thought about reraising, but this guy had been really aggro with like deuces and I felt I was to deepstacked to stand a reraise with AK without knowing where I stand. So I felt my best play was to either call or push. I chose to call because I felt like pushing was a donk play. Is it? Am I to deep stacked to push? Is there ever a point when you are to deepstacked to push?

Now I call and the flop comes queen high. Now normally, if I felt I could runover the villian I would auto bet in this situation depending on the flop. I thought a queen high flop that had no straight draws or flush draws was a great flop for me, and I was 100% sure if he had a pair or not, he would bet. Now in this situation does a good tournament player check fold? I don't normally play tournaments, granted I have read both harrington books and Skalansky's book. Granted I don't play tournies that often. I'm not sure if I'm results oriented here or what. I'm really bitter about this hand. I feel like I made such bad plays here.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: AK hand in the party 500k.-I think I made a terrible mistake.

First, I'm not sure you're all that deep - after posting you're at 18BB which is good, but hardly deep by most definitions. With his raise there is t4500 in the middle, which is over 20% of your stack. This, in my mind, argues for a push.

I also think that his image argues for a push. Yes, a push will fold out a lot of worse hands, but given his aggression you're going to have a hard time knowing where you stand post flop, and face the prospect of a dark tunnel bluff. I don't want that. Push.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: AK hand in the party 500k.-I think I made a terrible mistake.

I push this most of the time preflop. 4500 in the pot is a nice increase to your stack and you'll fold out a lot of pairs. With 25K+ it's gets trickier.