Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Question on SNG ITM finish distribution

I have a question about how your average finish places in sit-n-goes lines up with mine.

My ITM finish is lower then it should be (so much so that if my ITM finishes were evenly distributed I'd be VERY marginably profitable ~ 37%) however my ITM finishes are distributed 3:2:1 -
I'm wondering how this compares with other people?

Also - I'm thinking I might be too aggressive on the bubble - which results in me either getting a large chip stack or finishing out of the money - should this be the way I approach it? Or would it make more sense to ramp down a little on the aggression to get into the money - but possibly at the cost of more first's?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Question on SNG ITM finish distribution

Is 37% your ROI or your ITM? How many SnGs have you played?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:36 PM

This is with a total of 175 SNG's
(
Actual #'s -
# Tourneys 175
ROI % 23.12
Fin in $ 35.43
Avg Finish 4.91
31 1st
20 2nd
11 3rd
)
Old 12-18-2004, 01:31 PM

Yes, you should be concerned with your low ITM%. The unbalanced finishes are mostly due to luck, as not even the best of players can be that skilled in the end game with huge blinds.

I imagine you are getting into way too many bubble coinflips, which may account for some of the firsts and also your ITM%. Evaluate your histories and look at the kinds of situations where you should be folding, as opposed to playing.

The biggest piece of advice... stop calling for all your chips on the bubble, unless you have a very big hand. From what you posted it seems your the type who would never lay down AJ to a push 4 handed. You have to learn the correct situations to call with this type of hand, and fold with it
Old 12-18-2004, 02:56 PM

It could be variance and it could be you are a tad too aggressive when short-handed. Post some hands that you got knocked out when 4-6 handed.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:43 PM

It is really very benificial that your 1sts more frequent than 2nds or 3rds. That brings up your return a good amount.

But be concerned that you miss getting there so often (too often). Are you getting lots of 4th and 5th places? Or are alot happening before that?

I suspect (and am just making a guess) that you are sticking your neck out a little far early on, and are getting into way too many big pots at a full-table.

Some you win and have big stacks...and likely these translate into many of your 1st.

Perhaps be more selective early if you seem to be losing alot of these pots though. Other opportunities will come.