Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 10:39 AM

Default AA vs. all in on the flop

i have 2.5k villian has me covered. haven't seen much from him but seems to be a tight player who opens for a standard amount between 70 and 80 when he opens.

im directly to his right and cold call his 70 opener with AA, a few more soles come a long for the ride and its 5 way to the flop w/ 1 blind.

flop is 9c6d3s checked to opener who betspot, i make it 900, folded back around to him he pushes.

action?, what does villian have here?

Barron
Old 10-05-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: AA vs. all in on the flop

given that you slowplayed preflop you got the perfect flop to stack his QQ/KK, so do it. iŽd reraise preflop almost always though, given how likely it is for someone to outflop you for 3.5BB. if he has a set and actually played it like this, good for him, but given the dry board he will have QQ/KK 90% of the time here.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:49 AM

insta call, overpair.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 AM

The combination of your PF and flop play is not good.

As played, I fold. I doubt a tight player does this w/ a smaller overpair and you're a big enough dog to his range of draws and sets that you aren't getting the right price.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 AM

Either a set of nines or an over pair. He can't figure you for Aces since no reraise. Since you coldcalled for deception purposes, and this guy has no idea you have aces, this is just the situation you're looking for. If he's got the set of nines, that's just crummy luck. A large reraise preflop might have driven 9-9 out of the hand, but hey, that's what you risk when you don't reraise preflop.
Anyways, I don't know what to think about the 9-9. His pot bet could mean anything. There are 2 possible open-ended straight draws, so giving free cards would be a disaster for him, especially with 4 other people in the pot, which is what he'd do with an overpair as well as a set. He has no reason to believe you have anything larger than top pair, so him pushing with an overpair could make sense. It's tough, but seems to me like you gotta pay him off if you're beat.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
given that you slowplayed preflop you got the perfect flop to stack his QQ/KK, so do it. iŽd reraise preflop almost always though, given how likely it is for someone to outflop you for 3.5BB. if he has a set and actually played it like this, good for him, but given the dry board he will have QQ/KK 90% of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you guys must play against much different tight players than I do. I almost never see KK/QQ here.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:01 AM

i canŽt tell you how many times iŽve seen the nittiest of the nits go broke with any overpair on dry boards... like they constantly decide someone is trying to make a play at them because they are tight (in villainŽs eyes, wtf would hero raise with here? a oesd? tt-qq? doesnŽt seem like heŽd raise a set, right?) and thus just push with an overpair. like i said if he reallllllly bet full pot with top set (and if he open raised 66, he ainŽt tight folks... nor 99 really) then iŽll pay him off this time but when you call AA preflop instead of reraising this is the exact situation youŽre looking for and to not get all your chips in the pot would be a crime.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
insta call, overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeaaaaaaa...KK commits here?

-Barron
Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 AM

Yeah, duck pretty much nailed. She has less of a life than me, so from now on I'm just going to reply with one sentence to threads and expect her to write anywhere from a paragraph to 2 pages on the reasoning.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:15 AM

Default RESULTS...

in case you hadn't guessed, i didn't have AA. i was the original raiser,

and i play bad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (87ss)

i figured, WORST case scenario, if this guy DOES have AA, thats one hell of a call (i.e. its an easy ass call w/ the set,2pair)....i mean he did cold call right behind me. so it looked like TT-AA, 99/66/33, A9s (if he plays bad),96s if he's feelin his oats...

Barron

PS- if i DID have AA, we likely wouldn't have seen a flop b/c i would have made it much large for 87ss to call OOP and 87ss would have likely folded.