Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: War of the Worlds

I will admit that I did not know the ending prior to seeing it. I obviously knew about the whole story about it being broadcast over the radio and people freaking out...but not the ending.

Anyway, what I didn't like was there was just too much TOm Cruise. There are not very many characters in this movie so what you get is an overdose of him. One detail I noticed at the begining bothered me during the movie. During the first lighting stikes, after they are done, the movie makes it very clear that all mechanical devices are not working. Even his watch stops. yet, moments later they are out on the street and there are people taking snap shots with their cameras.

The special effects were pretty good. There was suspense because many times you couldn't really see what was happening until it was over. You could only hear the sounds.

You guys are probably right in that it wasn't a 9. I thought it was pretty good and since I had just come from there and enjoyed it, I probably rated it a bit high. Anyway, I did like it better than Revenge of the Sith but then again, I am not really a Star Wars fan.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:19 PM

oh man that's funny.

How can you have passed middle school and not know the ending to "War of the Worlds"?

It's a famous book/radio play/phenomenom. I figured most people to be more cultured than to not know one of the MOST famous stories of modern times.

Seriously, it's like not knowing the ending to the tortoise and the hare. IMO, I did you a favor.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

U must be too young to have seen the origional, or heard Orson Well's radio play. I have experianced both, I thought everyone over the age of 20 knows this story inside and out by now.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
U must be too young to have seen the origional, or heard Orson Well's radio play. I have experianced both, I thought everyone over the age of 20 knows this story inside and out by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just way too old for this group.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just way too old for this group.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true my friend... so true. See you at Bunkfest! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not that they used the original ending - rather that it was horribly implimented and more or less happened randomly. The whole movie was disjointed and horseshitty.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Meh... 6/10.

First half was a solid 7.5/10. Second half sucked.

****Spoiler*** (I guess)

The happy ending was [censored] retarded. Living in Boston, how was that house not destroyed and everyone not dead? Also, when that dipshit.... what was son's name?... whatever, when Dipshit was revealed as being still alive, I had already forgot about his character. Then, remembering about it, I was actually disappointed he was alive.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:48 PM

i will agree that keeping the kid (robbie) alive was pretty dumb. it made it a happy ending.

the whole theme of the movie was a father's duty: keeping your children safe and sacrificing everything to do so. robbie wanted to be on his own. they're staring at each other for like 10 seconds while he's saying "let me go."

so he did. and he died. or should have at least.

but then he's actually alive? wtf?

the brother is supposed ot be the wife of the character in the original wotw. she is thought to be dead and then walks in on him at the ending so everyone is happy. i guess seeing as it's a remake they did the same thing so people could be happy. lame.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:51 PM

I understand what you are saying Blarg, but my point was that if this book was published today by an unknown author it would not be such a major success, sense science fiction has evolved from the time when this was written.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then you my friend havent seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants...or u have and think its a masterpiece. In which case your opinion sucks. Wait, it does. But alas you can think what you wish I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't seen Sisterhood of the Traveling pants, but Alexis Bledel is pretty hot, so it is possible that I would enjot this movie more then I did War of the Worlds.