Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Do you make this call?

I call, and you should too.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 AM

I think it's an easy fold, any xT seems likely....

Of course he could have 88 or be a major general magoo and have 44 or T4 (yikes!)

On the plus side, he'll likely stay and you can stack him off on the next one.

>TW<
Old 06-01-2005, 12:33 AM

My thoughts on this, initially were fold. He has a ten and you are down to 2 outs, 3-1 not good enough. then i thought, if he had a strong hand, ie. a ten, why would he not reraise you all in on the flop hoping for you to call with a pp. but i realized he may have made a call with a weak ten, 9t, tj or the like, poor kicker and he was scared of a better ten. but why would that change on the turn?
in the end because of his passive play on the flop that he has a8 and felt his 2 pair is good with his ace kicker, although this is a terrible thought because of the preflop action, but in the stakes you are at i have seen players disregard preflop action entirely. so he called and when no overcard came he decided to bet and the only meaningful bet he can make with his stack is all-in, it is only half the pot. so i make the call.

out of curiosity, what was the outcome of the hand?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: What\'s the flop raise for?

I play 1/2 NL only live, normally I'd raise QQ PF to between $7-$10. Then fire $15-$20 at the flop in MOST cases.

I really want this heads up on the flop, and even on KKx flops if first to act aggressively, I will fire $15/$20 with TT-QQ, and depending on the other player(s) even occasionally with Axs and worse.

Maximizes taking down the pot with minimal risk, and if they come over the top, I can easily get away from the hand, the one thing I hate most is being just CALLED here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

>TW<
Old 06-01-2005, 01:00 AM

call.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:47 AM

I'm guessing A8. I don't think he has a ten. Being a weak player, he probably thought his two pair was good and was waiting for a turn safe card to push...a stop and go. I don't see him playing a ten this way...but you never know.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:01 AM

I think he has a T (or 88), but I call because he doesnt have enough money - and he might be flushing or have a worse pair than me.

Then he shows me his T (or 88) and I congratulate myself on a fantastic read, while he stacks my erstwhile chips.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:49 PM

I'll post the results in a bit. Most people will probably be surprised to see what BB was actually holding.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:07 PM

Results of the hand:

BB is all-In [$10.15]
Hero calls [$10.15].
** Dealing River ** K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a pair of tens.
Hero shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] two pairs, queens and tens.
Hero wins $40.3 from the main pot with two pairs, queens and tens.

The call worked out for me this time. I really don't understand why he bet out on the turn. Seems like this should have been any easy check/fold for him (two overcards, flush draw and gut shot straight draw with one card to come versus a paired board). I think his only other option was to re-raise all-in on the flop if he was just going to push the turn anyways.