Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: So i\'m thinking about something i saw on TV the other day....

[ QUOTE ]
His read was that Antonio had an underpair, so he knew he would be just a tiny bit worse than 50/50. Taking into account the money that was already in the pot before Antonio's all-in re-raise, Gus was getting better than 50/50 odds on the call. If he was certain in his read then it was a clear call from a 'pot odds' point of view.

I know that tournament poker is not just about pot odds, and am not saying it was necessarily the right move to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this was a winner take all tournament, so chips do not change value and normal pot odds apply. Gus stated in his card player article he was certain Antonio had a small pair, so the pot odds dictated a call.

Another thing is, 1st prize is "only" $25,000. For all the time and effort of playing a live tournament, I think it simply isn't worth it to Gus. Negreanu has stated this himself, that it's really only a popularity contest. So he was probably not worried about gambling if this is a close call.

Another note, that I think is probably unlikely but easily possible (I don't play at high stakes to know how far guys are willing to manipulate their image): Since it was such a high profile tournament for little prize money, perhaps he purely saw it as a way to advertise for future tournaments. Gus admits his image is highly profitable for him. So him trying to advertise in marginal situations wouldn't be completely off the wall.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:36 PM

Just wondering who is considered the "big 4"
Old 05-30-2005, 10:59 PM

everyone has bad reads or bad calls, he is just human. also, poker is a lot of skill, cards has more to do with winning in some levels as opposed to others. there are professionals who have shown that they can sit down at a table and without looking at their cards beat the table based on their reads and their judge of the players.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 PM

Yea, I agree with whoever said that Dan Harrington is lucky. His WSOP main-event championship bracelet in 95 was so luck. So were his two consecutive final table appearances in 03 and 04. His book is pure garbage, that's why no one bought it.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 PM

nobody said dan harrington was lucky. actually exactly the opposite was stated.