Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:59 PM

Default 11: Pocket 9\'s facing a raise late

***** Hand History for Game 2997443496 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:17215565 Level:4 Blinds(50/100) - Monday, November 07, 16:29:09 EDT 2005
Table Table 67543 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 6
BB: emptyseat20 ( $1360 )
UTG: etravis54 ( $1200 )
2nd: aaronb47 ( $1230 )
3rd: lastdeu ( $1808 )
Button: JackSeven333 ( $1030 )
SB: TheOriginals ( $1372 )

Trny:17215565 Level:4
Blinds(50/100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to emptyseat20 [ 9h 9s ]
>You have options at Table 67719 Table!.
etravis54 folds.
aaronb47 folds.
lastdeu raises [400].
JackSeven333 folds.
TheOriginals folds.
Your time bank will be activated in 5 secs. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
>You have options at Table 67719 Table!.

What's my move here
Old 11-07-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: 11: Pocket 9\'s facing a raise late

Read on villain?

My default is to fold. I'd consider calling if he's the type to only bet a flop he hits. I don't like pushing, because at the $11s you'll get called a lot, and you're probably either slightly ahead or behind a pair with all your chips on the line. Too early to be desperate.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read on villain?

My default is to fold. I'd consider calling if he's the type to only bet a flop he hits. I don't like pushing, because at the $11s you'll get called a lot, and you're probably either slightly ahead or behind a pair with all your chips on the line. Too early to be desperate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too tend to agree with this alot.

However if you DO have a read on the villain a couple points could be made here.

1) If he is pushing, and open raising alot then you could push and perhaps get him to fold the crap he is playing and being agressive with.

2) If he has been playing tight and sitting and just waiting for his opportunity then this is an easy fold.

3) I sure as hell dont like calling almost 40% of my stack here. Too me, upon reads... this is either a fold or push.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM

I call here, 99 is just to strong for me to fold at this point, and then play according to the flop. If the flop comes scary, I check/fold. T900 is still enough chips to play with here, though you will probably end up having to race as a 60 in a 60/40 flip to make a run at winning. If it comes relatively safe, (one face card, no ace) then I push. I think this will maximize fold equity vs two unpaired overcards, but keep you from being broke most of the times villians hits the flop.

Also, you may get called down by an unimproved AK high on the flop if villian thinks you are stop and going with any 2. This would leave you with a large enough stack to completely run over the table on the bubble.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this will maximize fold equity vs two unpaired overcards, but keep you from being broke most of the times villians hits the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain hits the flop and you push into him, how will you not be broke?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this will maximize fold equity vs two unpaired overcards, but keep you from being broke most of the times villians hits the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain hits the flop and you push into him, how will you not be broke?

[/ QUOTE ]

VS A hypothetical villians AK, the flop comes AJ7, you can check fold leaving you with t900. Flop comes, Q62 you push and villian doesn't get to see turn and river, which he would if you push preflop. The only times you go broke are when it comes K72. You still will go broke sometimes, but it will be less often than a straight push preflop.

I personally think the villians raising range here is pretty wide, and I'm not so scared of postflop play that I can see a flop with 99 vs Ax all day. He has Ax much more than an overpair here, so vs his range i think we are about 65/35 preflop. This is too big to pass up with the quickly escalating blinds.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:29 PM

I really love reading posts by the people who take the one minute of effort to convert their hand. No biggie though.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:32 AM

This type of raise on the button is very rarely an overpair. Most of the time its a small pocket pair or Ax, where x is big or small or just some random playable hand like JQ,JK. Stuff in all your chips, theres a decent probability that hell fold his crappier hands (that are actually a coin flip against you). Your on the bubble too, so hes going to give you more respect than he would normally.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:59 AM

Anyone that says they need a read to answer this question is nuts...you simply muck it. Zero Fold Equity, flipping no good.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 AM

wait..., why wouldn't you push this?