Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Suited Connectors and Suited Aces at NL 6max

I'm new to NL after playing limit for awhile, and Im wondering about these two types of hands. I feel I limp with them alot, and don't ever get anything out of them.
Flush draws seem basically worthless, because you dont get the odds on them, and the implied odds are really bad too; they're just too obvious.
Open ended straight draws are better because they're well hidden, but its even harder to get appropriate odds on them, especially since if the board is paired or has a possible flush, you cant bet aggressively for value.

Ive read statements like: Say you're playing 67s, and theres a preflop raiser, and the flop is A67, then you can get a huge pot. Umm, that would be true for any two cards, since in this situation the suitedness and connectedness of your cards is irrelevant.

(suited aces seem even more useless to me than suited connectors, for obvious reasons)

So do you play suited connectors and aces only when your opponents are total loose passive fish?
Wha'ts the deal?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Suited Connectors and Suited Aces at NL 6max

Don't limp with suited aces if you're the first one into the pot. Ideally, you would want to play them on the button or cutoff with a couple of limpers infront of you. Suited connectors are generally a leak at low stakes NL IMO, because as you mentioned you're rarely getting proper odds to chase your draws and you don't have much folding equity against donks if you semi bluff raise with them. They're very high variance hands as well, another reason why I like to stay away from them.

Good question by the way.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Suited aces are good because they are a draw to the nuts... and the nuts are always good. (You'll need that good ol' 7 outer to stack someone with a K high flush)

SCs are good because of their ability to flop the elusive straight flush draw, where you are a favorite even when you aren't currently winning (most of the time) -- meaning that you are basically freerolling every hand out there (in the long run). Add fold equity to that and you've got yourself a +EV hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:45 PM

if u r talking about 6max and 6max only i have found that there aren't all that many spot where playing them is beneficial. ideally u want to have position and a few limpers in front of u to make these hands valuable in the long run. i do think they're good to raise with for steals and sometimes to just change up your game.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:01 AM

In my 6max 25NL i've had JTs 27 times, and i won with a straight once, and a flush once.
I've had JTo 97 times and won with a straight 3 times. Didn't get paid off for anything! The only money i've ever made in 6maxNL with JT is a full house where i netted $17.
JT, the "best" connector, is overrated!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 AM

I'm fairly new to these forums - what are suited aces?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:43 AM

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

etc
Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 AM

If I'm in the button or cutoff, I'm raising with these hands and continuation betting just about every flop. The value with suited connectors is that no one puts you on one when you raise pre-flop - I stacked a guy with A2 on an A23 flop when I had 45 suited, after a PFR.

Suited aces are self-explanatory, and usually your ace is good too.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 AM

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 AM

u should only be playing these hands six max for steal value. if u have a table of calling machine, which u often will, then playing these hands profitably becomes a challenge. if i have control of the table i play them from almost anywhere; if the table is playing loose passive play big cards. big cards crush the random trash idiots call with. bet for value.