Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Losing weight.

[ QUOTE ]
When I was dieting I was advised to switch from bagel and cream cheese to an english muffin with jam. There's about 1/4 the calories in an english muffin with jam than there is in a bagel and cream cheese.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure where, but ive heard the calories or fat in a normal bagel with cream cheese is comparable to a mcdonalds breakfast sandwich

sausage mcmuffin with egg/cheese
caloriees: 450
total fat: 28g

bagel with cream cheese
calories: 340
total fat: 12g

maybe not as close as i thought

cheers
Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
play some DDR. if you like it and get hooked you'll lose a lot guarenteed

[/ QUOTE ]

I played DDR for the first time recently, and I think this will actually be my plan. I don't need to lose weight, but I definately need to start working out, but can't find any convenient cardio activities enjoyable other than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I now have a new goal in life. Beat ZeeJustin at DDR.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I was dieting I was advised to switch from bagel and cream cheese to an english muffin with jam. There's about 1/4 the calories in an english muffin with jam than there is in a bagel and cream cheese.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt it. Bagels are one of the first things that most dieticians will advise you to cut out of your diet.

im not sure where, but ive heard the calories or fat in a normal bagel with cream cheese is comparable to a mcdonalds breakfast sandwich

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question for people who people who are in the know:

A couple of years ago I cut out Regular Coke from my diet. I used to drink 3 or 4 cans a day. I still needed the caffeine, so I switched to Diet Coke. However, about a month ago I decided to kick the caffeine habit and stopped drinking Diet Coke as well. I had a couple of weeks of withdrawal, but I'm feeling much better now. I've substituted water for the diet Coke I was drinking. Other than having to pee every 30 minutes, I feel like a million bucks now.

Here's my question: Will cutting out the *diet* Coke affect my weight? I've heard that cutting out all softdrinks (diet or otherwise) is important for a healthy diet. However, I always thought of Diet Coke as simply being flavoured water mixed with caffeine (but without the calories that come from the sugar in regular Coke). Should I expect to lose some weight now that I've stopped drinking diet soft drinks?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will probably feel better due to not taking in so many chemicals, but since diet coke has zero calories, you will not see a change in your weight.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my question: Will cutting out the *diet* Coke affect my weight? I've heard that cutting out all softdrinks (diet or otherwise) is important for a healthy diet. However, I always thought of Diet Coke as simply being flavoured water mixed with caffeine (but without the calories that come from the sugar in regular Coke). Should I expect to lose some weight now that I've stopped drinking diet soft drinks?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible. There's at least some anecdotal evidence that citric acid, an ingredient in a lot of diet beverages, slows weight loss. I'd research it and post a link, but I'm a lazy [censored].
Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You will probably feel better due to not taking in so many chemicals, but since diet coke has zero calories, you will not see a change in your weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking, actually. Since there are no calories, there is no weight gain from consuming diet drinks.

One of the reasons I quit drinking diet drinks was because a friend of mine was insisting that Aspartame had all sorts of side-effects that the "big food companies are keeping under wraps". I was waking up every morning sore from head to toe, I was feeling fatigued all the time, I kept getting headaches, etc... She pointed me towards some websites which listed my symptoms as those that typically result from "aspartame poisoning". Most of the websites seemed to be created by crackpots, but I told her that I was thinking of giving up caffeine anyway, so I would let her know if my symptoms went away after awhile.

Amazingly enough, I feel like a new person after a month without diet drinks. I'm not sore, I sleep more soundly at night, I'm more flexible, I don't get the headaches I used to get, etc...

However, I'm convinced that this is a result of eliminating caffeine from my diet, and not the aspartame. Regardless, I'm never going back to the diet drinks. I don't want to go back to feeling the way I felt before. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 01:27 PM

i too need to lose weight and fat. right now im runnin stairs for 30min every day then doing 30min (total, 10each) of pushups, lunges, and crunches.

is this sufficient to lose my fat (190 and 5' 8") or should i lift weights instead of my "natural" exercises? im hesitant to use weights as i do not want to risk injury
Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I am really bad at it and I don't really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably feel this way because you do not enjoy the Gold's Gym (etc) atmosphere. It makes you feel uncomfortable to be in a gym working out with other people that are clearly in better shape than yourself. You need to just say, "F them," and get your work in. And, once you get in better shape you will actually ENJOY going to work out, and it will become an ego-boosting experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, and this is the reason i belong to a hole in the wall instead of a commercial gym.

i go to the club where dude's try to impress chicks on friday saturday nights, not every goddamn day. gold's and other commercial gyms can be complete crap.

good ole hole in the wall

some custom made equipment, and custom dumbells up to 180. a chin up bar that is 6 feet long, it runs on the honor system. drop off your money when you come- if not then just get him tomorrow. the place is great and everyone is serious about working out- not about walking around and being a strutting dbag.

try to find a smaller gym if you feel uncomfortable at a bigger one- it could work wonders and freeweight work would be more beneficial than bowflex.

--also, by getting into the routine of "going to the gym" you're less likely to cop out. it seems that since this stuff is right in your house that you're more likely to use it, but i find that i'm more likely to work out if i get myself to the gym on a consistent basis.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that this diet will work, but a major reason for why i am posting it is that i would like for someone with more knowledge to chime in and correct me if it will not.

wendys has some very healthy foods, caloric wise. if you avoid any caloric beverages, you should lose some significant weight by eating these 2 following foods:

Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich

Calories: 360
Total fat (G): 7
Cholesterol: 75
Protein: (G):31

Broccoli and Cheese Hot Stuffed Baked Potato

Calories: 440
Total fat (G): 15
Cholesterol: 10
Protein: (G):10

If you had 4 UltimateCG sandwiches and 2 broccoli potatoes per day, your caloric intake would be 2320.

If you dont care too much for the potatoes, you could replace them with more sandwiches and this would be an even more efficient diet.

The foods actually taste very good as well, which makes me think it would be a very satisfying diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waaaaaaaaaaaayy too much carbohydrates there. Potatos are bad.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:48 PM

Nick, from the things you have posted about your lifestyle, I think that perhaps high protein/low carb protein shakes might do the trick.

I have been drinking these shakes since I lost my digestive system six years ago and have no other way to digest protein.

My husband wanted to lose about 40-50 lbs. at that time, and got it into his head that the low calorie shakes might do it more easily. So he started out with one per day, and eventually started drinking two. This is NOT a liquid diet, or a "meal replacement" shake, he was drinking this solely on top of his existing diet. He did cut down on the sweets somewhat, but said even that wasn't so tough, because of the satiety of the shakes.

Within about six months he managed to lose 45 lbs. and has kept it off for almost six years. He still drinks the shakes, and maintains his existing diet. He doesn't torture himself, nor does he feel he is missing anything.

If you want to know which brands I'm talking about, PM me. There are different kinds of protein shakes: sugar shakes with a tiny bit of protein, "weight gainer" shakes, and low carb/no sugar, high protein shakes. The last are the ones I'm talking about. Forget the first two altogether.

I'm not a salesperson, nor do I have any affiliation with a site or brand name, I'm just a cheapskate who knows where to get protein cheap.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net