Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Two Preflop Cold Calls (Yikes)

And these were happening simuntaniously! This doubles my monthly total. Thoughts on any street appreciated.

Party 2/4. Both tables are playing loose but I have no specific reads on any villians.

Hand 1
9h-9c in the CO. UTG+1 open raises, MP calls, I call, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop [Tc, 3d, 2s]. BB checks, UTG+1 bets, MP calls, I raise, all call.

Turn 5s. Checked to me, I bet, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP folds.

River 5d. Checked to me and I check.

Hand 2
10s-10d on the button. UTG (poster) checks, UTG+2 raises, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, I call, BB and all call.

Flop [4d 2c 2s]. BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, I raise, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn 5s. Checked to me, I bet, BB calls, others fold.

River Qc. BB checks, I bet, BB calls.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Two Preflop Cold Calls (Yikes)

when it is two bets to me, i would usually three bet TT on the button. its not a big deal though. The rest looks pretty good.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:51 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

Hand 1 I don't like at all. I'm sure that a lot of people will say, "oh you have 99! call!" I don't I don't think you're in a good position to play any small to medium pair, because you have someone between you and the PFR. It's going to be tough to play because that guy in the middle will likely be getting correct drawing odds to overcards, so it'll be tough to get it headsup. On the contrary, your relative position for a set is pretty good, because you can trap that cold caller. If there was another cold caller I'd be all for calling, but given that there's only one cold caller you'll probably have to win without a set sometimes, and it's tough in this situation. If there was a limper and then a raiser, I'd be more apt to call there.

On the flop, there are 4 players in the pot. you might or might not be ahead. Then there's a bet and a call. I'd just call there. You're only protecting your hand from one person, and there are no draws present, so I don't know if it's worth playing aggressively. This might, though, be a good spot to gain information. When you get called in 3 spots, you have to start worrying that you aren't ahead. Given this, I like the way you played the rest of the hand. you're probably against a T.

So, to conclude it, I'd have folded preflop (which most others won't agree with, I'm sure), and just called the flop.

Hand 2 is close. TT is a pretty automatic 3-bet, but this is a spot where raising doesn't have many advantages. It just bloats the pot, and there's very little chance of anyone other than the poster and the blinds folding.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:04 PM

i prefer the old fashioned way in hand 1: 3bet or fold. i don't see what cold calling does for you.

hand 2: as sthief said, whether to 3bet or call is really close, i'd tend to just call here.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 is close. TT is a pretty automatic 3-bet, but this is a spot where raising doesn't have many advantages. It just bloats the pot, and there's very little chance of anyone other than the poster and the blinds folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your thinking here. I think alot of times, I'm on my auto - 3 bet. But your spot on about bloating the pot. I think even if we flop "unders", - the "overs" may be able to take a card off for one bet.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 PM

Can you change your avatar as I believe you are jinxing them? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:08 PM

Good reply.

Hand 1 was right in the dead zone. With tens, I'm 3-betting. With a smaller pair, a raiser and a caller isn't enough. My flop raise was another uncertainty point. SSHE advocates calling the flop and raising a safe turn card with a hand like this. But I'd like to know where I stand on the cheaper street. The plethora of callers didn't give me a warm fuzzy. And I was so close to betting the river but chickened out because the SB cold called my flop raise on a drawless board. I'm glad to see I didn't get any flak for that.

Hand 2, I think I had HPFAP in my head when I cold called. They have a passage with jacks that says the worst spot for the hand is against 4 opponents. And what was I facing here? 4 opponents. The flop raise here was a little easier but should I have waited here as well?

Man, this game is humbling! Been playing for a year and a half and still can be confronted with situations that I have no idea how to handle. Gotta love it!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Bloating the pot is good isn't it. Don't you have enough pot equity with 10 10 that more in equals good.

2) Folding poster and blind = good thing, eliminate marginal suited hands that could hit hard to see 2 pr...

I like 3 betting here, esp from button!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

what I'm saying though is:

[preflop equity gained by 3-betting preflop] ~ [postflop EV you give up by 3-betting preflop (ie the cost of giving your opponents odds to draw to anything)]
Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you change your avatar as I believe you are jinxing them? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call