Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Flop with OK & FD4 - call or raise?

I think the only problem with your line Marlowe (this is just my two cents, I don't even know if I'm right) is that the pot just isn't that big yet. Freeing up two outs just isn't worth it given the size of the pot right now. If there was a preflop raise, oh hells yea we'd raise this flop.

The free card also would be nice, but I think allowing the pot to grow here is much more valuable then the free card. Hell, with four callers on the turn we wouldn't even need the free card, we could bet for value.

Now, if the OP has a read that these guys will cold call with anything, raise it up.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Flop with OK & FD4 - call or raise?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the only problem with your line Marlowe (this is just my two cents, I don't even know if I'm right) is that the pot just isn't that big yet. Freeing up two outs just isn't worth it given the size of the pot right now. If there was a preflop raise, oh hells yea we'd raise this flop.

The free card also would be nice, but I think allowing the pot to grow here is much more valuable then the free card. Hell, with four callers on the turn we wouldn't even need the free card, we could bet for value.

Now, if the OP has a read that these guys will cold call with anything, raise it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reason I like raising so much is that you have a much bigger edge with two cards to come that with just one to come. On the flop he's a 2:1 underdog to make his flush, compared to a 4:1 dog on the turn. Added to that, people love calling the smaller bets on the flop.

My point is that if you miss your flush you are in much worse shape on the turn. It's difficult to bet for value because you need four callers. You may decide you want the free card after all. However, if the table is so loose that four people will call a BB on the turn, you shouldn't have any trouble making lots of money on the flop.