Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:08 PM

Default K5s from BB - play it differently?

MP1 is 69/0/2.6 (35 hands). Guy is passive on the flop, but bluffs on turn and river most of the time. My read was that he'd bet/raise any scare card. Terrible LAG who was pushing around all the TPP at the table. Had pushed me out of a hand when he first sat down, and I was waiting for a chance to push back and see his reaction.

Critique my line. Should I have bet out on the River? Or would that have been spewing?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds.

Turn: (2.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
Old 11-29-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: K5s from BB - play it differently?

Why the 3-bet?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:13 PM

I read the line before seeing your explanation. Obviously this is very read dependent. But as LAGgy as he may seem, Ax is certainly in his range as well as junk clubs.

River is spewing if he has any sort of hand, but so was turn. To be consistent, you'd give him three more bets here.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 PM

I would just call down after the turn raise. Your hand is pretty marginal, and even maniacs have an A sometimes (or a flush, or a straight). If he doesn't, don't let him get out cheaply by 3-betting the turn and telling him he's beat.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I didn't think he had an Ace. Wasn't positive, but I wanted to push him back to make him think twice about bluffing me in the future.

Looking at it the 3-bet on the turn is probably a spew most of the time. For some reason my gut told me he didn't have either clubs or aces.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why the 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I didn't think he had an Ace. Wasn't positive, but I wanted to push him back to make him think twice about bluffing me in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a big problem with this, because we've been told since our poker infancy that calling too much is weak and lame. I had to come to understand that calling down is not tantamount to giving up on a hand. And against a LAG/maniac, calling is in fact the best weapon -- think of it like a rope-a-dope, or a Judo/Aikido-style redirection of the enemy's energy to your benefit.

And btw, giving him a bunch of extra BBs with 2PNK is probably not the best way to show him who's boss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And btw, giving him a bunch of extra BBs with 2PNK is probably not the best way to show him who's boss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

True, and most of the time I would just call this down, only in this case I got lucky as re-raising was the right thing to do.

It was read dependent. I should have just called the turn raise, but at the time I felt like the best he had was King high-weak kicker. Can't say why I felt this way, just that I had watched him very closely from the time he sat down. Must have absorbed something. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I know long term the 3-bet is -EV.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why the 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a big problem with this, because we've been told since our poker infancy that calling too much is weak and lame. I had to come to understand that calling down is not tantamount to giving up on a hand. And against a LAG/maniac, calling is in fact the best weapon -- think of it like a rope-a-dope, or a Judo/Aikido-style redirection of the enemy's energy to your benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Basically when you call instead of 3-bet, you win the same when you're ahead and lose less when you're behind.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:04 AM

:grunching

Wait for a better hand to push back with. With your read (maybe) call down depending on how laggy he really is.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 AM

I'd fold to the turn raise.