Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Default A nut flush draw and a big pot

Low limit Hold'em (9 handed loose table) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (26 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 33 BB

With a possible nut flush and 8 at the flop I played this steathily, letting the pot build and waiting to pounce. But should I have been aggressive earlier?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: A nut flush draw and a big pot

my lord you missed out on several bets on that flop. please do a search on "pumping draws" and "pot equity."

also, you are lucky the river check raise worked (rofl CO folded anyway).
Old 11-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Raise/capp that flop and bet the river. Nice hand.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my lord you missed out on several bets on that flop. please do a search on "pumping draws" and "pot equity."

also, you are lucky the river check raise worked (rofl CO folded anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup.

To the OP: Seriously, do a search on the terms Miles gave you. And also, just because people are aggressive in the turn doesn't mean they'll continue that aggression on the river when the flush card hits. You'll feel like an ass when the river gets checked through - just bet.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:28 PM

On the flop, I would raise when it first got to me. The gutshot's not trustworthy (someone out there probably has a 6), and your overcards aren't entirely reliable outs, but you do have the nut flush draw, and raising might actually buy you some outs.

If I decided just to call, I wouldn't be able to resist 3-betting when the action in this 7-way pot got back to me.

Doing so could cut down on your action if you catch, but I think you have too much equity in a field this big not to make that 3-bet. You're going to make your flush by the river a little more than a third of the time, and you do have some other (much less reliable) ways to win.

The river checkraise seems all right to me, but it depends on how likely your opponents are to decide you must have been drawing to the flush to be doing all that calling. CO does seem to like his hand a lot, though, and it appears Button either flopped a big hand or caught a king (or kings up) on the turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a possible nut flush and 8 at the flop I played this steathily, letting the pot build and waiting to pounce. But should I have been aggressive earlier?

[/ QUOTE ]

[spraying FPS-B-Gone around my computer]

Yes.

[/spray]
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I decided just to call, I wouldn't be able to resist 3-betting when the action in this 7-way pot got back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't completely hate the first flop call, but only if you make it intending to 3-bet if it comes back to you. Hey, CO might even cap it for you. It's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to make up the extra bets on the turn and river that you miss by just calling on the flop. The CO folding to your river is a good example of this.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:44 PM

I can see an argument for not raising the flop the first time through since you'd be facing half the field with calling two cold, but I think you have to 3-bet this flop when it comes around to you last to act. Your pot equity is huge here.

Without a read on CO or Button, I don't know if going for an overcall on the river is right or not. With all the action so far, I'd probably raise it and figure everyone's calling in such a huge pot. If I'm lucky, maybe one of them will cap.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM

I would have 3 bet the flop, as you have the nut flush draw but also a gutshot straight draw and an A overcard. Translation = mucho pot equity.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:53 PM

You need to 3 bet the flop once it comes back to you. I don't mind th efirst call since a raise could likely push out CO, Button, SB and BB, but the second time around you have to 3 bet or cap.