Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Ouch! that check-raise hurt.

I play on very loose tables, often with 7 or 8 fish (default PT classification).

I frequently get stung by check-raises. I'm playing pretty straightforwardly. Say I've got AA, then I'll raise preflop. I'll bet the flop and be called. I'll bet the turn and bang - get check-raise by someone with 2 pair or maybe a set. On the river the check-raise is usually a straight or flush.

Should I fold or call to the river?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Ouch! that check-raise hurt.

This would largely depend on the tendencies of the other players in the pot (i.e. the check-raiser) and the pot odds.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:40 PM

There is no answer to the question "Should I ______ in a certain situation".

The answer depends on many factors.

You need to post some hands in the apporopriate strategy forums and then you will see what you should be considering when making decisions.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Should I fold or call to the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are playing limit, then you almost always have the odds to call a check-raise on the turn since you have so many outs against someone with 2 pair. Against sufficiently passive players, you might be able to fold to a check-raise on the river, but I wouldn't do that if the turn or river card is higher than the top card on the flop. River check-raises are rarely bluffs, but someone might be check-raising for value with one pair.

In NL, you can fold AA unimproved to a turn check-raise from a passive player. It's often not a good idea to make a large bet on each street with AA unimproved.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:02 PM

If people are counting on check-raising you when they make a good hand, it could mean that you're playing so aggressively that they know they can expect you to bet. Playing aggressively is of course good, but doing so predictably isn't.

If you think this is the case (and at low limits it might not be), you could check behind on the turn maybe 10-20% of the times you would otherwise bet -- just enough to make them wonder a bit more if you're going to bet. But be aware of what you're giving up by not betting, usually free cards, and try to avoid giving the free card on occasions when it's very dangerous to do so. (Read TOP and HEPFAP if you don't know when that is.)

That said, yes, we'd need to know more about the context. At low limits most players aren't going to observe your tendency to bet, but those who do warrant a bit of deception on your part.