Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Implied odds and loose tables.

I've just been reading about implied odds in GSHE. I've ignored implied odds so far as doing the mental arithmetic and playing my hand all at the same time is difficult.

I play limit holdem at microlimits. It is common for there to be 6 on the flop, 4 on the turn and 3 on the river.

Is this where implied odds would be an important factor?

I often find my self missing the flop but still having "something", like 2 overcards or a small pair. Would implied odds then justify me calling one bet?

I've read in SSHE about the importance of pot size. Can implied odds give a potential large pot?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Implied odds and loose tables.

[ QUOTE ]
I play limit holdem at microlimits. It is common for there to be 6 on the flop, 4 on the turn and 3 on the river.

Is this where implied odds would be an important factor?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understand what you're asking, then I think the answer is yes. Say you're betting on the turn, you've got one card to go and need 1 card for an outside straight draw. You're odds of hitting 1 of 8 outs is 4.75:1. If Pot is 8BB and it's bet and raised t you, you're getting 4:1 pot odds, or not quite enough based on how often you'll hit your out. However, If you believe you can get 1 more bet (or more) out of the two or three remaining players when you hit your straight, then you're pot odds are favorable to call. That's implied odds.

[ QUOTE ]
I often find my self missing the flop but still having "something", like 2 overcards or a small pair. Would implied odds then justify me calling one bet?

I've read in SSHE about the importance of pot size. Can implied odds give a potential large pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Overcards or a small pair is totally dependent on how many bets you have to call, whether you think you'll improve to the best hand with top pair/good kicker, what you think you're opponents are playing, will cards improve them, and so many other factors that overall it just depends. Experience is the only thing that's going to teach you. Also, don't fall in love with your hand, If bettors are firing away at the pot, take some time to think about what they have. You may improve by sticking around, but they may still have the better hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 PM

One thing to bear in mind is that you are counting future bets in the pot which you are (a) assuming will be made and (b) you will win.

Depending on the nature of your outs (and the skill of your opponents) you won't always get the calls that you are banking on e.g. KQJx if a T comes on the river how many calls will you actually get? Thus if you hold the A it would be dangerous to include say 3 big bets in your turn calculations just because there are 3 players going to the river. With regard to (b) you need to discount your outs properly - you'll split with another A, and what
about a potential flush?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:00 PM

I, too, find it difficult to do math at the table, and I try to keep my decision time uniform and relatively fast, so as not to give info about my hand. (I play live).

I have a few odds and probabilities memorized--ones that come up often--other than that, I rely more on what I think I know about the other players, what they are likely to do, and what I think they hold based on previous play. After the game, I write down key hands, and analyze them at home. I have software that figures out the numbers for me. If the situation comes up again, I remember how the hand played out and my analysis. I also keep a notebook of hands that, after analysis, I think I either played very poorly, or played pretty well.

One factor I give more weight to than others is, if I'm on a draw, vs particular player(s), how much will the turn and river cost me to see if I make my hand. If it's going to be expensive, and I haven't invested much already, I will let a hand go and wait for a better spot (such as high pair and a draw). [But I play tournaments with low starting stacks, where chasing draws is crippling, even if it's the correct play based on the odds.]