Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM

Default pocket 10\'s

what is the best approach to use with pocket 10's?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: pocket 10\'s

Not nearly enough information here: Limit or NL? Small, med, or high stakes?

I'm a limit player so I would raise/re-raise.

Have you read any books on poker yet?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:08 PM

TT is a top hand. At low limits. Raise from anywhere, most of the time you can 3bet. and if its 3bet to you usually call but know that you are most likely already drawing.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 10:05 PM

i have read: getting started in hold em; the psychology of poker; small stakes hold em; killer poker; super system; and on and on...

the information in these works is strategically interesting, but the tactics, in my opinion, sadly lacking. after having lost with TT, according to poker tracker, 43 times, and winning with them twice, i wonder what i am doing wrong.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have read: getting started in hold em; the psychology of poker; small stakes hold em; killer poker; super system; and on and on...

the information in these works is strategically interesting, but the tactics, in my opinion, sadly lacking. after having lost with TT, according to poker tracker, 43 times, and winning with them twice, i wonder what i am doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch - you've been very unlucky. You should have hit a set 5 times by now on average and you'll win the vast majority of those hands. You should also win a fairly small, but significant percentage of the time without hitting a set either from your opponents folding to your strong play or you pair holding up. Assuming you're not folding too much (unlikely from the sounds of it) I would say you've been very unlucky.

BUT - you should be studying how you played the hand to see if you are doing everything you can to protect your hand when you flop well. Does that make sense?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BUT - you should be studying how you played the hand to see if you are doing everything you can to protect your hand when you flop well. Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is important advice. The OP should pick a couple of the TT hands and post them to the appropriate forum. I agree it sounds like a rough time with TT. If you're going to far with that hand when you're very likely beaten, you need to figure that out right now as that type of leak can be very costly and spill over into other hands as well.

Regards,

T
Old 10-21-2005, 10:01 AM

Either
(i) you have been unlucky (not impossible by any means)
(ii)you are not applying what you have read properly

Post a hand in one of the forums - if you are playing it wrong there'll be plenty of posters willing to tell you!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:12 AM

thank you all for your replies. admittedly, my play of TT's has been erratic of late, which may have compounded the difficulties.

and yes, i am currently evaluating my hands on a case by case basis, with especial reference to position. i realize the analysis may be skewed by the quality of opposition i have been facing, (and the quality of opposition i have offered in return), and the kinds of players, but i have to start somewhere.

i am giving serious consideration to using my outcomes with hands as a opening strategy, although there may be a lot of anomalies due to sample size...as well as expertise.

as to appending hands for criticism, i will feel more comfortable with that as time goes on, and will surely do so.

again, thank you for your input.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am giving serious consideration to using my outcomes with hands as a opening strategy, although there may be a lot of anomalies due to sample size...as well as expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly advise against this - your sample size isn't nearly big enough and you will be falling into one of the biggest traps. If you have read SSHE you will recall that one of the very first concepts discussed is being misled by experience (i.e. being results orientated).

Read the preflop section of SSHE again (and not just the charts). Think about why you bet, called, (cold-called two?) or raised. What was your position, what happened before you, what if anything did you know about the other players. And after all that, remember that you may have done everything right and still lost money.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 AM

post hands, two or three will do. Just your TT trouble hands, winning AND losing hands.