Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-26-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Pocket Pairs in 6 max? What to do with them

I've started to play some 6 max 1/2 limit tables along with my full ring games and have found a ridiculas amount of success (god people are loose in 6 max!).

On pocket pairs (22-77) you can't really call with them for set value so I think the goal is to get them heads up. I've been raising preflop with low pocket pairs and am not sure if it's the right thing to do. If its folded to me in the CO , Button or SB, I think raising is definetly right. But What do I do with 33 UTG? Or 33 in CO with 2 limpers?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Pocket Pairs in 6 max? What to do with them

I raise/reraise with 77+, the other ones just depend on the table conditions and whatnot. Theres really no formula for success. In 6max, open-limping sucks, bottom line.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:01 PM

There are really two ways to play those small pairs. Represent big and push like you have the nuts.

Or limp in and get out if the flop doesn't match up.

If you are going for set value you want everyone in the pot, if you are going for the push you want to isolate.

The beauty of playing them strong is that often you can push out the other player if the flop doesn't hit them enough.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:20 PM

I might be over-aggro, but I raise almost any PP PF, especially if I think I can get it HU, or from late position. Even if you miss, you're in EP, and it's 3-way, you can boss players out a good percentage of the time. It's been working good for me so far.

I'll only fold little pairs in EP IF it's too loose and I find that I can raise PF and still get 4+ to the flop too much,

SH, a single pair stands quite a bit. An opponent flops a pair 1/3 the time, so you're usually up at the flop. 2 opponents, one hits about 1/2 the time, so I usually bet like I'm ahead, if someone gives you some grief, it's easy to let go.

If the board's full of over cards, that scares em all too.. I find 1/2 6-max players fold a lot more than they should.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or limp in and get out if the flop doesn't match up.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a 10h game, sure. For 6-max, I disagree. that's only good if its REALLY loose, like everyone to the flop every hand.. If you only get 3 to the flop, then you're not getting odds to limp in to hit sets, and you should be raising for value..