Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 06:32 PM

Default KK, Paired flop and a donk bet

Just sat at table, so no reads on villian yet.

Interested in comments on what the flop donk-bet might mean from an unknown, and the best line to take for rest of the hand! (Yes I know I played this horribly)

Cryptologic 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.00 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.00 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.00 BB.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: KK, Paired flop and a donk bet

Just bet the turn and bet or call the river.

The flop donk can mean pretty much anything, but if you held a gun to my head i'd say UTG has a small or medium pocket pair. Clearly you're raising anyway, so don't worry about it.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM

I don't think you played this hand poorly at all. On the turn, you are seriously WA/WB. If villain was just screwing around on the paired flop (very possible), a turn bet just folds him out, while a turn check might induce a bluff. If villain has a J or an A, checking the turn obviously saves you a bet. The only situation in which the turn check hurts you is if villain had a 5 or some crappy pair that he was going to call down with, in which case you missed a value bet.

I wouldn't have any objection to betting the turn, especially if villain is a fish, but checking it was a perfetctly fine variation play and would be more or less standard against an aggressive player.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:08 PM

bet the turn. that donk could be anything besides a jack.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 PM

I think he bet at you on the river with the 2nd scarecard. I'd reraise.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:10 PM

I agree with jrz, particularly that this hand was played okay and that your turn check may well have induced a bluff from a worse hand (hooray!).

By default and without a read, however, i'm going to assume someone who limps UTG is a fish and thus say you should just value bet all day long.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 PM

grunching

I like the flop raise, you're not 3-bet which leads me to believe the villain doesn't have another J. Turn sucks but I bet knowing I'll have to fold if raised. If he calls the turn I bet the river too figuring I am good the majority of the time.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Very peceptive Tyler, spot on read - he showed 77 and I kick myself again for missing loads of value bets!