Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: K5s from BB - play it differently?

grunch

Don't like the 3-bet. You've got middle pair no kicker on the turn. There's an overcard and a flush draw on the board. If you really don't think he has the ace, call the raise. For all you know he might be pumping with a 4th club. If another club hits the river you're screwed. Check and call the river.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:44 AM

Grunch:

I think you are spewing. Call the turn raise & probably fold the river. Paying 1 river bet to see his cards isn't necessarily a bad investment, but there are very few hands you beat here.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 PM

The turn 3-bet blows. If he is bluffing he folds and you don't collect anymore of his chips. If he is ahead he is going to punish you. I would strongly consider folding this one even against a bluffer. He has to be bluffing 25% of the time here to even make calling down profitable. Wait for a better spot to punish this guy you will get your chance.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunch:

I think you are spewing. Call the turn raise & probably fold the river. Paying 1 river bet to see his cards isn't necessarily a bad investment, but there are very few hands you beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi beachman there is no reason to call the turn raise if you plan on folding to a river bet. FWIW i think there are added benefits to folding to the turn raise villian may view us as weak and bluffable and we can kick his head in later when the chance comes around.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold to the turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is what he wanted me to do. Having watched him closely, He would have bet a flush draw on the flop, he would fold if he had absolutly nothing, but stay in with a piece. He was super passive on the flop. Either folding or calling. Almost never betting or raising. Should have included that in my read, but it was more of a feel thing. I had to go back and review his plays to verify this.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold to the turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is what he wanted me to do. Having watched him closely, He would have bet a flush draw on the flop, he would fold if he had absolutly nothing, but stay in with a piece. He was super passive on the flop. Either folding or calling. Almost never betting or raising. Should have included that in my read, but it was more of a feel thing. I had to go back and review his plays to verify this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're spending a lot of bets on a read from ONLY 35 hands. I don't think that's enough to be THAT specific in your read, for that price.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're spending a lot of bets on a read from ONLY 35 hands. I don't think that's enough to be THAT specific in your read, for that price.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but that was the impression I had, and as it turned out THIS time I was correct. He didn't have me beat. Would I play it differently next time. YES. Was the turn 3-bet/call a spew -EV bet? Yes. The proper play was either to fold or to trust my read and c/c the turn and river and not waste 2 additional potential bets.

Even with only 35 hands, this guy played by wrote. His actions by this time seemed fairly transparent. Should I have waited for a stronger hand to push back? In hindsight, that would have been smarter.

I learned a lot from this hand. Mostly it was to trust my read and to recognize the villians' pattern.