Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2003, 01:43 AM

Default 20-40: Middle pair, small pot.

2 loose and slightly overaggressives limp in EMP, straightforward predictable local limps on the button, SB folds, I check with Qs8h. 4 to flop for 4.5sbs.

Flop: [Ah 8c 6s] I bet, loosies fold, button calls I basically put him on a suited ace with no kicker. I'd have been much more comfortable if one of the two loosies had called. Two of us to the turn for 6.5sbs.

Turn: 9c. I check, he checks.

River: Th. I check, he bets, I fold.

Routine?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:47 AM

Default Re: 20-40: Middle pair, small pot.

[ QUOTE ]
I bet, loosies fold, button calls I basically put him on either a suited ace with no kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

erm or what? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 01:48 AM

typo. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 01:51 AM

In some of my more lucid moments I think to myself, "The majority of hands posted here could be answered with 'You're f---ed'". I think this applies here quite well.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:54 AM

The only remote draw on the board got there, along with two overcards to your pair. You played it perfectly. What are you hoping for, 54?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:33 AM

"I basically put him on a suited ace with no kicker."

Not in L.A. No raise pre-flop and anyone with an ace is going to raise the bettor. Anyone without an ace may raise the bettor. Nobody behind you is going to give you a free card when you bet the turn. And your hand may be good on the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-19-2003, 04:40 AM

hi clark
whew....the A on board really weakens your ability to win here. from the BB you can't really represent the A, but others can. before betting on the flop, i'd rather check to the button. if the button likes to bet when checked to, i'd perhaps, not definately, i'd like to see how he puts the money in, but if all looked o.k., i'd check-raise and try to win it right there. if he calls the check-raise, i'd bet out on the turn.

of course, if it looked pretty bad there as the money went in, i'd fold on the flop. i'd need to have played a few hands with this opponent to make a decision as to what his bet meant. but if he likes to bet when checked to, the flop check-raise sets up a nice turn bet out that can win it for you.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:33 PM

Hm...not quite sure that this is a routine fold...

While I think that it's the right play for the button to just call on the flop with Ace/no kicker (i.e. auto raising as most players would do with an Ace may be less correct in a heads-up draw bereft flop), it can also be the right play for him to call with any pair. So, I would probably bet on the turn (of course, you know this local - I don't).

Having checked the turn, the river checkfold is probably correct.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:08 AM

"if the button likes to bet when checked to, i'd perhaps, not definately, i'd like to see how he puts the money in, but if all looked o.k., i'd check-raise and try to win it right there. if he calls the check-raise, i'd bet out on the turn."

i was with you until right there. i would check the turn dark with the intention of either check-folding or check-raising (and i wouldnt have to improve my hand to do so), but hopefully check-checking. when i bet the turn here i find i am just throwing money away. it's complicated maybe but it's how it works out for me. i like to follow up middle pair flop strength by either showing more strength and truly selling the idea that my hand is better than it is (yes im aware it may be the best hand) or just plum wussing out and giving up. you see elysium, most players arent calling the flop checkraise after attempting a bluff w/ KTo here. that's why i dont like the turn bet.

another way to play it is just check-fold the flop and love yourself for your patience and unwillingness to get involved in marginal situations out of position. when my A game is on that's my play.

Old 12-20-2003, 03:18 AM

Having checked the turn, the river checkfold is probably correct.

skp, I don't quite understand this. Shouldn't checking the turn make the river fold in general less correct not more correct since his opponent is more likely to bluff after Clarkmeister has shown weakness?

I agree that the fold is probably correct, I'm just a little confused by your reasoning.