Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-18-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Jazz recommendations???

I am going to try playing cards again while listening to music, I have had mixed results in the past with this.

I want to listen to music without vocals so I plan on downloading some jazz mp3's.

I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Jazz recommendations???

Not quite Jazz, but Amon Tobin's 'Bricolage' album might be worth checking out.

A couple of friends of mine really like it, and one has an orgasm over it like every other night.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to try playing cards again while listening to music, I have had mixed results in the past with this.

I want to listen to music without vocals so I plan on downloading some jazz mp3's.

I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.

[/ QUOTE ]

satellite radio has some bomb jazz stations
Old 12-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Here are a few guys I've been really enjoying listening to lately. They're not all strictly cool jazz players, but their music is instrumental and often laid back.

Oscar Peterson: a true virtuoso on the piano. His Night Train album is spectacular, and probably right up your alley. Dimenions is also great.

Jimmy McGriff: While technically a blues guy, his music is all instrumental surprisingly, and he has a lot of jazz sensibilities in his music. I recently purchased his McGriff Avenue and Straight Up albums, and I highly recommend them.

Gene Harris: Another piano legend. His Best of the Concord Years compilation is great, although there are a few lyrical songs on it. Black and Blue is another great one from him, in addition to a number of good live recordings. He's one at least one album with Ray Brown, one of the baddest bass players to ever walk the planet earth that's also solid.

Clark Terry: I was happy I picked up his Squeeze Me and Memories of Duke albums on a lark recently. He occasionally mixes in some vocals with his trumpet, but it's all in his distinctive "mumbles" scat style, not lyrical.

You might also look up the album where Duke Ellington and John Coltrane played together. It's a great mix of Ellington's unmatch compositional sensibilities and Coltrane's sax.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:41 PM

jake shimabukuro
Old 12-18-2005, 11:48 PM

Maynard Ferguson

Original composer for gotta fly now from rocky
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 AM

charlie parker if i want to listen to some really good sax. otherwise i prefer to listen to nu-jazz stuff like jazzanova or bugge wesseltoft.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given my jazz backgroun schpiel several times already, so I'm not gonna trot it out again. Okay onto the recomendations

Chick Corea: now he sings, now he sobs

McCoy Tyner: the real McCoy

Freddie Hubbard: Ready for Freddie, Red Clay

Joe Henderson: any

Stan Getz: sweet rain, focus, serenity, people time

Miles Davis: Miles In the Sky( a real gem of his)

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collosus, Freedom Suite, Sound of Sonny

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Larry Young: Unity

Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you
Old 12-19-2005, 12:21 AM

stan getz (earlier stuff, also "sweet rain") - the quintessential "cool jazz" sax player. also a burning bop player when we wanted to be.

tom harrell - more modern trumpeter. tom is schizophrenic and hangs his head in a daze when not playing. when he plays though his whole body changes and he's just majestic. also one of the best jazz trumpeters in the world. check out "the art of rhythm"

bill evans - everything he ever recorded was great, but check out "sunday at the village vanguard" with scott lafaro

keith jarrett - he's got tons of high energy stuff, but his solo album "the melody, at night, with you" is super chill. his most subdued trio outing is probably "at the deer head inn", recorded with paul motian (the drummer on bill evan's "sunday.."!)

jim hall - played with paul desmond, as well as sonny rollins. all his stuff is great, check out "alone together" with ron carter.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you

[/ QUOTE ]

soul station!