Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Beginner Stud Hi Lo hand

I'm very new to Stud Hi/Lo and have no previous stud experience. In other words, no advice is too obvious. From what I've read, it seems aggression is important to knock out competing hands, but you also have to be disciplined enough to not have a second best one way hand. Now, from my little experience I've found I get way passive with high hands after I suffer some beats.

To that end, I'm posting this hand to see where I was off.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (5.25 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Old 12-17-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Beginner Stud Hi Lo hand

IMO either raise 3rd since the ace just called or fold it. This limits the field. For example if the queen is paired he may not call a raise with an ace showing and a low raising. Your hand with 5 seeing 4th is probably not going to win unless you two pair or trip 4th and even then two pair here may still need help. Your fold on 5th was an easy choice IMO.

I probably dont even see 4th here raise or not on 3rd since the ace is in and you have no chance of stealing the antes and bringin. Jacks are nothing but trouble if it goes to 4th. If the ace had folded I would have possibly would have raised this just to see what else was out there. If the queen 3 bets its time to run.

This was also a .5/1 game so this may be over thought.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:43 PM

I thikn this is just a fold on third hand. Unless you can get it heads up with a low draw your probably in trouble. JJ doesn't do well against multiple low draws.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:50 PM

do yourself a favor and just fold 3rd street. if you're just starting this game i think a good general guideline to follow is to just not call a big pair on 3rd street if there is an ace doorcard out there.

that said there is this huge mess of a hand on 5th and that is a good fold there.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:04 PM

low hands have the most value in this game, so when I play a high hand, I'm looking for an excuse not to play .. this is especially true for a begginner or in low limit games where multi-way pots are the norm

here are my excuses:
1 multiple low limpers
2 overcards
3 my hand has more than one dead card already
4 a tight player has raised with a wheel card
5 an ace is in the pot
Old 12-18-2005, 12:46 AM

There is NO reason to play this hand. fold third; Even a very experienced player in a very weak game will have a hard time making that call a profitable one, long term.

...but since you're there... i really like the bet on fourth.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:41 AM

It might be just me, but half-a-small-bet for an ante seems pretty big. Is a game like this beatable when you are paying 25BB/100 to play?

On a related note, I have a question, but I'll make a new post.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:40 PM

Raising third isn't going to do much to limit the field. The limpers certainly aren't folding. The Ace is either playing or he isn't. The bring-in is half-in, so he's probably calling as well. With a saner ante structure, I agree with others that folding is probably best. Here, I limp and hope to get lucky.

I would probably check fourth and most likely fold if A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] bets. Fifth is definitely a fold.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:"There is no reason to play this hand." Yes there is.The ante is exceedingly large.Normally this would be a simple muck.But with this ante,maybe it's right to come in.I don't know.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM

The limp in was a huge mistake. Most people here seem to say you should have folded. Personally I like raising here. Maybe the Ace folds..if he just calls you can assume he just has a low draw...if he raises well then you can let it go there if you want or just call to see what happens on 4th since by then the pot has grown.

The reason I like raising is because you get so much more info as well as thinning the field. Those other limpers are in already for sure and will call. You hope that they all catch bad and can take the pot on 4th.

Amazing the first two guys did catch bad but they called 4th street anyway, lol. Based on what I see I think you probably do have the best high hand at the moment but Seat 6's Ace and suited babys are scary..although with all the other spades out and the fact that he didnt raise 3rd would tell me he doent have a flush...at best drawing.

To me seat 8's 22 showing is even more scary because he could have two pair already. I don't think folding there was bad at all but I think if you'd have raised 3rd you'd be in much better shape by this point...having a better idea where you were.

I normally play 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10..and most of the time I know at least half the players at the table...so it's easier to read them. I'm guessing at this .25 game it's hard to tell where these guys are in a hand because there is a good chance they don't even know.