Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-08-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Incorrect application of the Spicy F theorum?

UB 30/60 6 handed

I have sat for about 10 orbits and don't have stats on villain yet but he hasn't shown down many hands because his hes been pushing hard and getting folds. Every hand that I've shown down, save for one turn bluff raise that got snapped off, have been big hands that I've played aggressively. I'm still playing usual shorthanded aggressive poker but just haven't been out of line except for that one hand.

I open black kings on the button villain in BB calls.

Flop: [Qx7s4s] 2 diamonds, he checkraises I call intending to raise most turns. I mix it up in this spot a lot but lately I'm waiting more for the turn when i used to 3 bet this flop most of the time.

Turn: [Qx7s4s] Qx he bets I call.

River is the deuce of diamonds he bets and i raise intending to make easy fold to a 3 bet.

River raise too thin?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Incorrect application of the Spicy F theorum?

i don't know what the spicy f theorem is, but since the question we're asking isn't "is our hand good here?", but "will he call with just a seven?", i'm not sure i like it at all. i'd be grateful if you enlightened me about this theorem though.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 AM

Yea I think that's not a good play. I like to raise the turn and play the kings similar to the way you play them to make sure someone that bets top pair into me all the time after I raise preflop will evenetually be punished but with your bet on the river you really have to anaylize the situation a little bit better. If he is betting a Queen into you, you've already sacrficed the final bet on the river and are conceeding him that at the very least, same situation if he has a set or slowplayed aces.... But if you have him beat here, (pocket tens, ace sevem, and many other hnads) there are only a small percentage of hands that you will have beat that he will call with. So most of the time your raise will be just giving away money. Plus if he decides to get ultra aggro, he may make you muck the best hand..... There is no reason to put any raise in on the river. You need to remember to ask yourself why you raise, it should usually be one of the following critearia either to get a worse hand to pay off your hand, or to try to represnt a strong hand and get an opponent to fold the winning hand... either situation is not likely at all. If you put a read on him and don't think he has a queen or (for whatever reason) you watn to try to get a small queen to fold, you need to raise the turn, at least at that poitn your drawing live, and you can force out some hands you might not want in the pot like (slow played aces) even though i still think raising the turn without an amazing read is just too sloppy. -Andrew
Old 12-08-2005, 08:25 AM

i have no idea what the spicy f theorem is, but there is no way i am raising this river.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:40 AM

I agree what the hell is the spicy f theorem if this is how you play because of it, It sounds like your just giving away money.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:04 AM

I like it. I like 3-betting the flop more though since it's a steal situation, the diamond draw, you might still be able to pop the turn when in position, etc.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:06 AM

spicyF theorem
Old 12-08-2005, 09:08 AM

All i have to say is LOL!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have no idea what the spicy f theorem is, but there is no way i am raising this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg i thought the river completed the flush draw, i change my mind. i like it
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

omg i thought the river completed the flush draw, i change my mind. i like it

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not clear to me whether it does or doesn't. OP indicates spades when showing the cards, but then says 2 diamonds. I'm with you - if the flush draw is completed, I don't like the raise; if it does not complete the draw then I do like it. In either case, you can almost certainly fold to a 3 bet.