Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Ever feel like your game is going downhill?

I look back a few months ago and really think my game has gone downhill. I'm trying to look back and recall what I was doing differently than now. This is assuming I don't believe that I'm on a losing streak which I don't think. It's almost like my game has changed for the worse as a result of bad beats or thinking I learned something new that worked for someone else yet it doesn't work for me. It must be something gradual that has led to this because it took a while to realize it. Just trying to find myself again before moving on. Any thoughts or similar experiences? If so, what did you do to understand the problem?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Ever feel like your game is going downhill?

i feel like this every day. just keep studying, reading, posting, etc...its probably mostly in your head.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:37 PM

November was my best month ever and I felt my game was improving significantly, but the last 3 days I have felt like I am playing my C-game (not tilting) and I am not able to change to A-game. Feels completely weird. Don't even know how to change it. I guess it is possible to get into overthinking mode or something. Considering to take a week break or something and approach the tables again.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 PM

I play 50k+ hands a month and I noticed that my appraisal of my own prowess depended a lot on how short term variance was treating me.

If you're troubleshooting your game on any hand samples less than 20+k then this may be it.

A lot of the things a successful TAG player has to do to maintain a win rate over the long term can backfire heavily on the short term.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 PM

Check out this thread from the micro's. Its one of my favorites and gets to the heart of what you are talking about - especially the part about misapplying new knowledge as we learn. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 AM

Honestly no. I've never felt like I've gotten worse. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting nowhere, but that's it.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 AM

I once thought it was going downhill, but then I tilted my monitor up and have been going strong ever since.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:11 AM

Variance makes it very hard to evaluate.

Let's say I call an all-in turn checkraise 3 times in three similair occasions.

I was getting 3v1 on my money.

2 times I think I was a total bonehead. 1 time I'm a freaking genuis. It's very diffucult.

I'm down $2,300 my first week as a pro. I also had KK v AA, lower flush to high flush, lower straight to higher straight, and lost kk v 99 all in preflop.

Do I not cut it as a pro, the numbers this week say so. But then again I feel like I've become alot better at picking up small pots and seeing weakness.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I look back a few months ago and really think my game has gone downhill. I'm trying to look back and recall what I was doing differently than now. This is assuming I don't believe that I'm on a losing streak which I don't think. It's almost like my game has changed for the worse

[/ QUOTE ]

(Raises hand)

Just continuing to try to focus more and play the best poker I can.
stepping down in limits to preserve bankroll and sanity. If the down-swings aren't as hurtful then it's certainly easier to focus on just playing my best game.

Could be short-term variance of course...but I think my concentration is not as sharp just from the high-volume of play leading to a bit of burn-out and complacency.

To that end....reading and posting LESS frequently on 2+2 while playing wouldn't be a half-bad idea (as he calls down with top-pair against some guy who flopped the nut-flush....nice hand idiot....back to focusing...pleasant chatting as always)
Old 12-06-2005, 06:15 AM

Yeah, im a negative biatch.

For example,

if i run hot ill say "Ah im running hot, didn't play well".

So when i run bad i'm like "UH HO!!! im rubbish, whats has happend? What am i doing wrong? Why have i lost? "

So i'll almost want to go back to 0.05/.10 and "fix my leaks" which just will keep me in the micros for years lol.

Atleast you're all the same...ish.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]