Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-13-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Raising limpers on button with Suited Broadway.

I play full table 25 NL party poker.

I started loosening my raising requirements on button and in CO.

Picture this. You are on button. Get 4 limpers. You hold QJs. What's your play?

At first I was calling. But now I started min-raising or may be raising to 3xBB if there are a lot of limpers. I think this is the best play if you are playing against unobserving oponents. You build pot for a strong multiway hand on button. Also, many people have a habit of checking to the raiser w/TP or better. Others are just afraid to bet into a big pot with many oponents. So often you get to see the turn for free.

So who here calls? Who min-raises? Who does the usual 3x +1BB for each limper?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Raising limpers on button with Suited Broadway.

Call.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:24 AM

Call. Drawing hand+position+alot of limpers= big implied odds.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 AM

I raise most hands I play on the button, but at these stakes and the scenario you described I like a call.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 AM

I hate min raising so I instead raise to 3x the BB. It pretty much accomplishes the same thing as a min raise though. You mentioned that it builds the pot and sometimes lets you see the turn for free. It also has the added benefit of giving you the right to steal the pot on the flop. Your opponents are much more likely to give up the pot to a preflop raiser than they are to a fellow limper. Stealing the pot would be reserved for rag flops. Also, in the case of a bad flop, I never feel any pressure to continuation bet because I have so little invested in the pot.
I believe this topic is discussed in TOP when Sklansky talks about raising from the BB with drawing hands. The purpose is to induce your opponents to stick around due to the size of the pot in the event you catch a flop you like.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:38 AM

What about just looking at this as a pot equity question?

Consider that suited highcards can win two ways: either by making a TPGK hand, or by making a flush or straight. Since the TPGK options aren't worth much (especially in a big field), you're mainly playing these for the straight or flush possibilities.

Assuming that these straight/flush possibilities have a greater-than-proportional share of the pot equity pre-flop, then you would want to get as much money into the pot as possible. I'm not sure where QJs sits along that continuum, but at low stakes, a late position min-raise into a 5-6 handed field doubles the pot size because you probably won't lose any callers.

One concern is that since you've sweetened the pot, other draws will probably stick around longer post-flop. But if you consider QJs a fit-or-fold hand yourself, that isn't really a problem.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:27 AM

The reasoning is inherently flawed and is a leak in the long run. I've seen the same "reasoning" used as far as "sweetening" the pot with small pocket pairs. I think you will lose far more money being exposed to limp-reraises and by your own sticking around to chase a draw in the pot you built than anything.

No offense, but you're probably not going to start any revolutionary ideas in PP NL25 full unless you find some very unique opponents.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reasoning is inherently flawed and is a leak in the long run. I've seen the same "reasoning" used as far as "sweetening" the pot with small pocket pairs. I think you will lose far more money being exposed to limp-reraises and by your own sticking around to chase a draw in the pot you built than anything.

No offense, but you're probably not going to start any revolutionary ideas in PP NL25 full unless you find some very unique opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do here? With 98s? KQs?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 AM

LIMP...KQs is closer to a raise but QJs isn't nearly as good.

I would be more apt to agree if you wanted to thin the field some but you just said you wanted to sweeten the pot. Almost all "pot-sweeteners" are wrong. A good example is my trip to Las Vegas a month ago.

A stated local guy in his early twenties made what he called a "sweetener bet" with what turned out to be 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Long story short, he flopped a flush and so did my friend and he left that hand less about $300.