Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 02:19 AM

Default how would you have played it? should i have called?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

MP3 :#A500AF(jackjohnson)/ ($9.55)
CO :#A500AF(IronMike)/ ($9.50)
Button :#A500AF(LarryHolmes)/ ($13.20)
SB :#A500AF(Marciano)/ ($2.10)
BB :#A500AF(JoeLouis)/ ($12.25)
purpleheadedwarrior ($10.65)
UTG+1 :#A500AF(ArchieMoore)/ ($9.30)
MP1 :#A500AF(ErnieShavers)/ ($17.75)
MP2 :#A500AF(Kubrick)/ ($9.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
purpleheadedwarrior calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 :#A500AF(ErnieShavers)/ calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 :#A500AF(jackjohnson)/ calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button :#A500AF(LarryHolmes)/ calls $0.10, SB :#A500AF(Marciano)/ completes, BB :#A500AF(JoeLouis)/ checks.

Flop: ($0.60) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Marciano checks, <font color="#CC3333">JoeLouis bets $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">purpleheadedwarrior raises to $0.6</font>, ErnieShavers folds, jackjohnson folds, LarryHolmes folds, Marciano folds, JoeLouis calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.80) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
JoeLouis checks, <font color="#CC3333">purpleheadedwarrior bets $1.1</font>, JoeLouis calls $1.10.

River: ($4) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">JoeLouis bets $2</font>, purpleheadedwarrior folds.

Final Pot: $6

I felt like he was drawing. turn had me worried. I def should of bet more on the flop. was on the phone and thought too fast. Bad fold on the river?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: how would you have played it? should i have called?

first, this actually belongs in the NL small stakes group. They'll be more likely to engage on it.

At these stakes, it's hard to know what anyone's bet means. The NL guys might have opinions about betting the turn harder, but that's their judgment call. Given that the river bet is not enormous, I'd call it, just to see if you're up against two pair.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:08 AM

thanks. Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The bet was just enough to where I think i could of called and seen. I'll repost it in the other forum
Old 08-05-2005, 12:56 PM

The only hand a sane opponent can have that beats you is 8-7 and given the 7h on board he can't have a flush.

The reason I'm eliminating all other possibilities - or at least all those I could think of - is that while you could be beaten by any of 100 hands, none of them would have played out in the manner you described on the three rounds prior to the river.

Ergo, IMO, you almost have to call here.

As to whether you erred anywhere else in the hand, um, yeah.

I cannot agree with your action(s) on the flop or the turn; low stakes online N-L features players who will almost always call a {reasonable] raise if they have already called a bet in that round. They are almost guaranteed to call if they were the bettor or raisor in that given round.

I'm interested to hear from others; I never played much N-L until the recent N-L explosion so I am definitely a long way from an expert.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Default He could also have had A-6/hearts or A-4/hearts -

and still have been legally sane - my bad.

However, I still call the river here.

On 2nd look, betting out on the river is another option - perhaps the better one.

Who agrees/disagrees ? ? ?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: He could also have had A-6/hearts or A-4/hearts -

I think it's hard for hero to "bet out" here since he acts after the villain... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

and if you mean he should raise the villain, then I definitely disagree. he's only getting called if he's beat at this point.