Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games

Old 08-23-2004, 02:53 AM

Default What do y\'all think of my Bengals bet?

The Bengals: an amazing 8-8 last year.

I bet my buddy a chunk of change on the under for this season- they will do worse. A winning or a .500 season and I lose.

Good bet? After their mauling of New England's defense last night I'm -slightly- worried. But, it is the Bungles after all.
I'm figuring no way does this team break .500 with a brutal schedule and a rookie QB.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: What do y\'all think of my Bengals bet?

I don't like it. Although they aren't playoff bound, the bungles will do better than they did last year.
Probably 9-7. Which is enough to lose your bet.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:24 PM

They mauled the Pat's backup defense, and half the game was played with their decidedly inferior backup QB, not that the offense did great under Brady, but they at least didn't get 4.4 yards/pass, but a more normal 9. Also, Corey Dillon versus the Bengals would be quite the distraction, a la Lawyer Milloy.

I wouldn't read into it too much, in other words.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:04 PM

Default I don\'t like it

The Bengals are poised for the typical 2nd-year-of-a-new-coach-explosion. A lot of crappy teams recently have been brought to the superbowl after a couple of years under a new coach. New England was one. Carolina was another.

I'm not saying that Cincy will go to the superbowl. But they are exactly the kind of team that could have a suprisingly strong year. I think they are even odds (i.e. 4 to 1) to win the division.

natedogg
Old 08-25-2004, 03:32 AM

I like Cincy as a surprise team this year.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 AM

You must have alot of money, or at least little or no respect for it.

-Dimitri
Old 08-31-2004, 01:10 PM

Default Bengals bet is fine

I have no problem with your bet. You have effectively made an "over/under" bet where you have chosen "Bengals under 7 1/2 wins". The Bengals' current market price for wins is 6.9-7.0 (listed on tradesports). You have an edge, as you have sold them above the market.

Anyone who thinks you are wasting your money should be out there buying Cincy at 7.0 wins.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM

Vegas has the line set at 7 1/2 under even. So a 500 season is a loss their also. I wouldn't touch it either way. Your line with him is ok though. Were you drunk when you made this play?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:05 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad to hear the Vegas line is at 7.5. I've been following the Bungles for over a decade, so I'm used to their losing ways and think they will continue.

To answer some questions, yes, I like money, and no, I wasn't drunk when I made this bet! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I just thought it would make this season a bit more interesting. My friend the enternal optimist was prattling on about how they are going to the Super Bowl this year so I had to step in and say something. Looking back on the bet though, I should have taken 8-8 (he very likely would have given it to me). That was a big mistake if they manage to go .500.

Anyway, here's my very amateur reasons why the Bungles will continue to suck this year:

Big #1 is the ownership. Mike Brown is a complete buffoon, and doesnt seem to care whether the Bengals win it all or go 2-14 again. It's this apathetic attitude in the front office that has dragged the Bengals down and will continue to plague the Reds (possibly worse ownership).

#2 is Carson Palmer- will he be the next Ryan Leaf?

#3 is their brutal schedule and the fact that Baltimore looks to be pretty good again this year.

#4 - No Defense. The first decent draft in a decade has helped in this area, but was it enough? Bengals allowed a lot of points per game last year.

#5 - Rudi Johnson instead of Corey Dillon?

#6 - They are the Bengals and this is Cincinnati. No Shot.

Interested to hear what more positive(and/or impartial) anaylists think about their chances this year.