Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 01:39 PM

Default My book library/ratings, and what\'s recommended I buy next.

As a general background, I've been playing poker regularly since January 2004. I've gotten nearly all my education reading/studying books,watching the pro's on the WTP, etc., until this last month when I was lucky enough to discover the 2+2 site, which has definitely helped my game. I just started playing online 2 1/2 weeks ago, and the rest of my experience prior to this is live. I would say about 85% of my experience (and most success)is playing NL Texas Hold'em 1-2 table sng/satellite type tourneys. The rest of my experience is mostly playing Limit Hold'em, and I've recently begun playing omaha8 and stud8 in an effort to learn these games as well. Here is the list of books I have, in the order I've read them, followed by my personal ranking of 1 (low) to 10 (high) based on how much I've learned, and how much they helped my game.

1a) Ken Warren's Teaches Texas Hold'Em - 1
1b) Zen and the Art of Poker - 9
2) Play Poker Like the Pro's - 5.5
3) Caro's Book of Poker Tells - 8
4) Sklansy's TPFAP - 7.5
5) Championship NL and PL Hold'em - 9
6) Psychology of Poker - 7
7) Sklansky's TOP - 10

While I'm a winning NL tourney player (although no where close to where I want to be), I'm a losing limit player (which is probably obvious to some based on the books I've read). I plan on getting Hilger's ITH next, and following that by purchasing Small Stakes Hold Em. For Stud8/Omaha8, Ray Zee's book has been recommended to me. I would appreciate any input with regard to my next reads.

Also, would it be better for me to concentrate exclusively on improving my limit game, and once I become a winning limit player, then move on to Stud8 and/or Omaha8? Or could I take say 1 day out of the week to learn Stud8 or Omaha8, and focus the rest of my time learning how to win at limit? No matter what, I will continue to play NL sng's and mtt's, since I have +ROI%'s for these. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: My book library/ratings, and what\'s recommended I buy next.

SSHE and ITM are great books. I think it is a good idea to become an all around good poker player. I have been trying limit, omaha, and stud too. As long as you get the underlying concepts of poker you should be able to hold your own in any one of them. I was curious about the Zen book. Is it any good? What is it about?
Old 08-28-2004, 04:14 PM

I would suggest that you pick up Lee Jones's Winning Low Limit Hold'em (WLLH). It was pretty much considered the bible for low limit HE for years until Ed Miller's new Small Stakes Hold'em came out. Jones provides a great foundation for some of the basic concepts of solid, winning play. Basically, since you've read the other books already, it probably won't teach you any new tricks, but it will help you to sew up any major holes you have in your game right now. I've heard that people like Miller's new book a lot more, but I've also read some posters' suggestions that you start with WWLH or Hilger's ITH before you tackle some of the advanced concepts that Miller discusses. I haven't read Miller's book just yet, but I just ordered and plan on cracking it next week.

Good luck with the reading,

ts-
Old 08-28-2004, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest that you pick up Lee Jones's Winning Low Limit Hold'em (WLLH). It was pretty much considered the bible for low limit HE for years until Ed Miller's new Small Stakes Hold'em came out. Jones provides a great foundation for some of the basic concepts of solid, winning play. Basically, since you've read the other books already, it probably won't teach you any new tricks, but it will help you to sew up any major holes you have in your game right now. I've heard that people like Miller's new book a lot more, but I've also read some posters' suggestions that you start with WWLH or Hilger's ITH before you tackle some of the advanced concepts that Miller discusses. I haven't read Miller's book just yet, but I just ordered and plan on cracking it next week.

Good luck with the reading,

ts-

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to an extent. The problem with WLLH is if you internalize too much, then later you might have a hard time breaking out of the Tight-Weak box that Lee puts you in. Lee's intentions are good, as most new players start out as either Loose-Passive or Loose-Aggressive, and I think driving the TIGHT point home is very important. Personally, I think ITH is a more nuanced (but, by definition, slightly more complex) "Intro" book. Read both if you have time (WLLH takes about 20 minutes it seems...), but I think the general consensus is ITH.

The Clarkmeister progression also seems like it makies a lot of sense. He recomends WLLH, but as I said, it and ITH are reasonably interchangeable.

I would NOT jump right into SSH, as it can turn you into a raving LAG if you don't have the basics down.

On a side note, if you are wondering how to get the most out of your readings, I asked the same questions and got some good answers.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:08 AM

IMO, Zen and the Art of Poker is like the "Bible of Tilt Control." I've read it several times, especially early in my playing days. It has helped teach me discipline, patience, and the perseverance to handle "bad luck swings," which in my experience, may last days, weeks, or even a couple months. Overall, it's a psychological analysis of poker from a far eastern perspective, which makes it unique compared to most other literature on the market which I've read, and know of. I would describe it as 'The Ancient Art of Warfare,' meets general poker theory.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:37 AM

Id say he is already past the point where Lee Jones can do much for him. I would only recommend that to a complete poker newbie personally, and then id want them to move right on to the next afterwards also. I would say go for Hilger now, then straight on to Miller. The Miller book is where he wants to be and I dont see any point in dwelling on the others. I would use them simply as an introduction to Miller. I did quite like Hilger though. Obviously be playing the whole time too.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:46 AM

A lot of people are recommending SSHE, but I have to admit that my game is badly struggling after reading it and trying to apply the concepts playing. I don't know if it's because I started with WLLH and am having trouble breaking out of that type of play or that I am just not applying some of the concepts in SSHE correctly... but after more than quadrupling my starting bankroll since May, I've quickly gone on a -70BB slide. So, as others have said, I would think SSHE would be a great book to start out with, but other seem to agree that most of the concepts in the book are essential to progressing as a player.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:22 AM

LOL, "Zen and the Art of Poker" what a joke.

-Dimitri