Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 12:38 AM

Default Re: AQ - too tight?

[ QUOTE ]
given the pre-flop call instead of a raise, which I'm certain was a mistake,

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't be so certain. calling with AQo behind a few limpers is fine since it's unlikely that you will limit the field much by a raise.

[ QUOTE ]
is the play on the flop close between a raise and a fold,

[/ QUOTE ]

in my experience, unless i am in a really bad game (which i shouldn't be playing in the first place), folding on the flop in this situation is generally a mistake. my choices of action would be 1) 3 betting, 2) cold-calling, and 3)folding; in the order of preference. the game condition will sway my preference a bit, but on average, that's what i would do.

$0.02,

Kenny
Old 07-06-2004, 12:49 AM

dude,

i aggree with your other comments on this hand, but..

[ QUOTE ]
I can't justify a call - it's a raise for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

... calling is definitely acceptable sometimes. SOMETIMES.

Kenny
Old 07-06-2004, 01:01 AM

If I call the flop in this situation it's with the intention of popping the turn.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I call the flop in this situation it's with the intention of popping the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was referring to the preflop call, as i thought that's what warik meant by "can't justtify a call"

Kenny
Old 07-07-2004, 04:49 PM

Ok, I have been suitably chastised. I am convinced that this was a pretty terrible fold, and I'm a little surprised to find myself agreeing that a call wouldn't have been as terrible as I thought.

I'm glad the hand went to a showdown, because I probably would have never stopped to think about this hand otherwise - the inital bettor showed K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and the raiser showed K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The bettor caught the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the turn, but he wouldn't have called my flop 3-bet, so he wouldn't have gotten that far, and the fourth [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] never hit. I would have won the pot by raising, but I still felt pretty good about the fold at first, because I figured that this was about the best holdings I could have hoped for my opponents to have, and that I would still end up -EV by playing the hand any further. In truth, I think I just wasn't emotionally ready to play a "see you at the river" kind of hand at these limits, and I need to fix that before I sit down at a 20/40 table again. I was afraid that I would misplay expensively if a K, Q, J, T, or [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] fell, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm very likely to be ahead on the flop, and I need to play accordingly.

thanks for the comments!

-switters