Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: 7SFAP is too advanced for me.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Adams book is quite easier to read than 7CSFAP and I as well buck the trend on this forum and recommend it for the small stakes stud players. I have started 7CSFAP several times and quit about 1/2 way into it.

A year or so ago, I saw the Internet Forum do a book reading and discussion together as a forum and had been intending to bring this up earlier for 7CSFAP. Would that help? Say read chapter X thru Y by next Wednesday and we can collectively discuss what we've read?

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone wants to organize it, I'm definately in.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a great idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like there is some interest, so let's set it up. I would prefer one of the more well versed and better stud players to lead this if one would volunteer; I'm neither.

How much should we read in one period? Part I is +/-65 pages, but is full of some really complex issues. Would 1/2 of Part I be a good stopping point? Say "Introduction" through "Playing Small and Medium Pairs"; that would get us through "pairs" and on to straights, flushes and other stuff for the next reading.

We should allow some time for new players to order the book that may want to participate and also get through the holidays. Let's target the first reading section to begin discussion on Wednesday, January 4th.

We will be using the 21st Century Edition, so when you order make sure that's what you are getting.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:58 PM

Chip Reese's section in SuperSystem is great and describes the proper concepts more succinctly. And although there is not enough emphasis in 7CSFAP on having big cards, you will eventually want to reread it to better understand the impact of the other upcards that are out and the value of your kicker in different situations. running simulations on twodimes.net will also help you understand more of the marginal spots.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Say "Introduction" through "Playing Small and Medium Pairs"; that would get us through "pairs" and on to straights, flushes and other stuff for the next reading...

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a great way to learn what the book has to offer, but there is so much to talk about for each section that it would take forever to get through the book. Just a thought.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reread TOP and maybe skim through West in the bookstore for starting hand requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good idea for the new guys. Get the very basics and play a little, then once you have an idea of what your doing read 7csfap.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This would be a great way to learn what the book has to offer, but there is so much to talk about for each section that it would take forever to get through the book. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm open for ideas--I'm far removed from my school years (graduated college more than 12 years ago) and being an engineer, I'm no where close to an educator.

I don't want to fill up the forum with multiple discussions of smaller portions of the book than necessary. If every minor topic of the book became it's own discussion, we'd have 35 seperate discussions the first week alone.

I'll keep thinking of a good way to do this, but please keep firing your ideas...anyone?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If every minor topic of the book became it's own discussion, we'd have 35 seperate discussions the first week alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is exactly what would happen. I'm not saying it isn't a good way to handle it, just that it would take a while.

You would probably get more out of the book by discussing every little thing you find, it's all important.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...Say "Introduction" through "Playing Small and Medium Pairs"; that would get us through "pairs" and on to straights, flushes and other stuff for the next reading...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this objection could be made for any and every book that people discuss seriously.... Discussions are rarely exhaustive...peole are still doing scholarly work on just about everything in the western cannon. But that doesn't negate the fact that open and expansive discussions are are the single most effective way to learn and understand a difficult subject.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:33 PM

Thats a good point. But I don't know that a structured weekly forum is the way to go necessarily. I think as people read the book on their own and find a point that they have trouble with they should start a thread and get the responses they need. You would get a less extensive interpretation of the book as a whole but could focus on the troubling parts.

The other way works to but I don't know that many people would stick with it.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am using Wilson's Turbo 7CS and it is great way to get a feel for the game. I think there is a holiday special going on now, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a link? I went to their website and didn't see anything about a special.

http://wilsonsoftware.com/texas-holdem/index.html

Anyone have a copy that they are no longer using and would sell? PM me.