Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: 5/10 VPIP major hole

[ QUOTE ]
when are you limping A2s if not this scenario. It is the perfect spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if this was a2 offsuit?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold. Your hand has value because it is suited. Suited hands gain value in multiway pots. Offsuit hands in turn, go down in value.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold. Your hand has value because it is suited. Suited hands gain value in multiway pots. Offsuit hands in turn, go down in value.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:54 PM

The a2 suited maybe, but I don't think it is at all a costly fold. Why would you raise in the cutoff with the k10? Obviously not for value, also not to isolate because most of the original callers are going to call your raise anyway. These posts are pretty much worthless without a description of the types of players at the table. Q10 is not a hand i like playing UTG under any conditions.

I found it difficult to read the remainder of your post after seeing that first line.

If you aren't going to play A2s after 4 limpers then yes it is a very costly mistake.

KTs in LP and QTs UTG are also hands that can be played in various manners from their respective positions. True, if you plan on limping in from UTG when QTs you better be sure that the table conditions are appropriate. But to say it is an "auto fold" is very wrong.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 PM

There is really no correct answer to the OP's question. Any answer would be correct in some situations, and incorrect in others. I'm just giving my general opinion that hands like Q10 are usually not profitable UTG in a full game. We can agree to disagree.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 PM

1) A few weak players call in early and mid position. I am in cutoff with KTs. Do I raise? (ive been just calling)

I raise to buy the button and vary my play on the flop. I used to make the mistake of autobetting most flops and I'm working on correcting that now.

Same question and now I have KQo (i usually call)

Raise always when everyone limps.

2) I have KJo on the button and there is one limper (I usually call)

I raise to limit the field isolate the limper and you have position. The blinds will fold or if they are decent will 3bet.

3) I have A2s and there are 4 limpers (I usually call)
I limp. Occasionally if I am in the blinds I will raise knowing everyone is calling to give me better odds at draws.

4) I have 44 on the button and it is folded to me (I usually fold)

I typically raise but would depend on the blinds.

5) I have QTs UTG (I usually call)
Fold - unless you are getting to much respect or the table is loose.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone else think of a mistake you guys see alot that weak-tight players are doing? Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

-Not adjusting their game play to the table conditions.

-Not attempting to steal the blinds often enough.

That's really all there is--the examples you gave have been gone over pretty well already. So it's often just a case of learning when you can loosen up your limping (and raising) standards on a table; if there are a lot of loose players at the table and it isn't raised preflop all that often, you can get away with limping a lot of hands from a lot of positions. On the other hand, if there are one or two really loose, really bad players, you should be raising with a lot of very borderline hands in an attempt to isolate (note that these hands should uniformly have good high card strength, as loose, bad players can rarely be bluffed out of a pot. At the very least you want a good (KT or better) king to isolate with, maybe something like QJ or QTs if you're really confident in your postflop play).

And then there's stealing the blinds...you need to do it pretty often on 5/10. And, since your opponents are also doing it often, you need to defend your blinds regularly against steal attempts. A pretty good list of hands that you should be stealing with is included in Hold'Em For Advanced Players, and a search of these forums will yeild a ton of discussions about this topic.

3k hands isn't a whole lot, obviously, but VPIP generally firms up pretty quickly. If you're at 12 after that many hands, you're most likely playing a 12 VPIP game. My advice? Play some 6max, either 3/6 or 1/2 as you get used to it. These games are great for learning to take advantage of position and be more aggressive in your play (both pre and postflop). And there are a ton of really, really bad players at the 6max tables, at least on Party.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 PM

"Why would you raise in the cutoff with the k10?"

Because you want callers (if you'll get them) You will inflate the pot enabling your draw, and, more importnatly, may get a free turn card.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:34 PM

Perfect timing, this thread resurfaced in General today.
Nate the Great's You are playing too tight. Nat

It addresses the creeping tightness issue that you are experiencing,and a great discussion of where and when to loosen up PF follows.