Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Default How should I have played this flop?

I was in a MTT (70 players started) down to 3 tables (27 players). Blinds 300/600. I was the BB and was dealt Qs 9s. Chip counts are as follows:

UTG (9000)
MP (5000)
BB (8800)-Hero

UTG player limps in, MP raises the minimum here..bumps it up to 1200. (Pot - 2700) I call with my Qs9s from the BB. UTG player calls preflop raise. (POT - 3900). Flop comes Q-7-2 all clubs. I think for a few seconds then come out with 2000 in chips. The UTG player thinks for a minute or so before raising me all-in (5600). The preflop raiser (MP) folds. I put my opponent on a draw with 2nd pair at best and call. He flips over QJ no clubs and his Jack kicker holds up. Should I have just moved all-in on the flop or should I have done something different in my play here? I was one of the better chip stacks in the room heading into the hand and thinking back about the hand probably should have folded the hand after the reraise which would have left me about 5600 in chips.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this flop?

Fold preflop, you have no idea what UTG is going to do. UTG limpers are always suspect unless you've been playing with the guy and know he's donked his stack up.

But since you called....

Check/fold, you missed the crazy flop of all spades or a straight or top two. Q9 is top pair weak kicker with a huge drawing board, don't let the 9 being higher then 7 other cards fool you, it is a weak kicker.

To the action that did occur? Bet more like half pot on the flop and fold to a raise or check it down if possible.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this flop?

Part of the problem is that you put your opponent on a specific hand (2nd pair w/ draw) that you wanted him to be on since it was favorable, not a range of hands.

Preflop: UTG limped, called a minraise. Without a read on UTG or the table, this could easily be any suited connectors, non-premium pairs, two broadway cards, Ax. You called a minraise from BB, but that could be pretty much any hand since you're getting 5.5:1 and nobody showed major preflop strength. MP is a donk with a minraise for a quarter of his stack.

Flop: You hit the flop and make a solid bet. UTG reraises you all-in. Donk gets out of the way.

What hands does he make that raise with? A set, a better queen, a low flush trying to deny your draw to a high flush, Acx, and second pair with a draw is possible too. Even third pair if he'd play a suited A2 or something. Also a bunch of pocket pairs in his range. You're way behind a lot of his range, and only slightly ahead of his range if he's on the draw you want him to be on. I'd need a very, very strong read on UTG to call the reraise. You haven't given one.

Meanwhile, if you fold to his flop raise, you've still got a healthy stack with plenty of room to make a move in a better spot.

Without any reads, I think you played the hand mostly fine until you called the reraise. Only note is that I might have folded PF (even in the BB), especially because UTG limped and according to you, he had relatively large stack and his limp would have thrown up warning lights for me. Depending on the table, I could see him limping a monster and hoping to be raised.