Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-23-2003, 04:01 AM

Default 10-20 KK, weaktight, or intelligently cautious?

10-20 game.

UTG limps. Another limper, I raise with KsKh. BB calls. UTG 3-bets. Limper between mucks. I cap, both call.

Flop is AdJd5d. Pretty much the worst flop I could imagine. BB checks, UTG bets, I raise. BB folds. BB calls. Turn is the Kd.

So now I have a set, but any diamond beats me, and who knows if my set is good. He checks, I check back.

River is the 4s. He checks. I want to bet, but chicken out instead. He shows AsQc, and I take it down.

Who plays this differently, and who calls me a little girl right to my face after this hand?

Thanks,
Old 05-23-2003, 05:24 AM

Default Re: 10-20 KK, weaktight, or intelligently cautious?

I would have checked the turn and called a bet on the river or bet if checked to.

UTG 3 bet the flop meaning high cards or a pocket pair. Since all of the high card diamonds are out the only thing I would worry about is him having a diamond in his pocket pair. When he didn't bet the turn I would definitely have to bet the river. Of course now that I say that I am not sure what worse hands will call, so maybe checking it down was a good thing.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:52 AM

Acesover8s:
It's not completely clear from your post, but it appears that it's UTG that you're against on the river. At the river, your concern is that you're up against a flush (or possibly a broadway straight).

UTG's pre-flop and flop betting pretty much eliminates the chance that he holds a small diamond. If he held the Queen or Ten of diamonds, he might check the turn hoping for a check-raise, but if he had done this and you'd checked behind, he'd pretty much have to lead bet the river for fear that he'd lose another big bet by checking again.

His betting pattern pre-flop and on the flop makes it very unlikely that he holds QT for the straight, so I'd figure that your set of Kings was good, and I'd bet the river.

Gino
Old 05-23-2003, 10:13 AM

Would he have called a bet on the river without a flush you think?
Old 05-23-2003, 11:56 AM

when a typical player limp-reraises from EP, don't you usually assume they're holding AA or KK? I would tend to assume that UTG holds AA for top set and is just as scared of the 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]s on the turn as me, particularly since I have position on him... I know a lot of players who'll play AA that way on that flop - bet out, just call if raised by a likely flush-draw, and then bet out on the turn if it's not a [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], check-call unless you fill up if it is a [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]...

I'd check it down, since he's not going to fold AA or any [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] for one more bet on the river, and he's not likely to call and show you anything that you can beat. (maybe JJ or AK?)

-switters
Old 05-23-2003, 03:01 PM

How do you know that he doesn't have a flush and is just waiting to check raise you?