Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Default simple question

Playing in a typical 15-30 or 30-60 online-game. How tight can you play and still be a winner ? I have a player in my database who plays 7% of his hands . Preflopraise is 6% Aggr. is 2.9 He is a big loser. Could it be that he plays too tight ? In 3500 hands i have from him he never showed anything but AA or KK UTG or UTG+1.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: simple question

I don't play that limit, but 7% VP$IP is far too low to be a winning player at any level.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM

"Could it be that he plays too tight ?"

ya think?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 PM

Yeah, he must be playing way to tight. He is probably not in enough hands to cover the amount of money he loses to the rake, and in the big blind, etc...
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play that limit, but 7% VP$IP is far too low to be a winning player at any level.

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming your opponents don't adjust to your excessive tightness I don't think this is true.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 AM

if you cant play the game correctly because of the stakes then you probably shouldnt play it at all. for starters, that mentioned vpip is way too low and people playing at higher stakes games (usually) arent idiots--they notice these things. so when that person you are describing is in, most everyone else is likely thinking about a reason to get out of the hand. but playing too tightly isnt even the biggest problem.

the reason why you are trying to devise a way of playing so tight is because you are going to be playing with scared money. you are not thinking about the bets in terms of small bets or big bets anymore, but now you are thinking, 'whoa, this is a sixty dollar bet i am putting in... oh [censored], the guy to my left raised, now its gonna be one-twenty and thats alot of money.' if you are thinking in these terms, get off that table... fast.

you have to push every single edge you have to the limits and if you cripple yourself by playing way too tight, you wont be able to do that. if you sit down at a $500 max no-limit buy-in and cant handle going all-in with what you assume is only a 2% edge against your opponent, you shouldnt be playing at a $500 max table. same holds true for high limit, i think.

--cheap
Old 05-17-2005, 06:36 AM

Maybe he's just getting uber cold-decked, the poor sod..... Surely nobody can play this tight -- 7% VPIP is like paying to watch paint dry.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming your opponents don't adjust to your excessive tightness I don't think this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 15/30 or 30/60 games are you playing that the opponents don't adjust to your game? Please let me know of this magical site where monkeys play Mid/High limit.

At higher limits it's a bit more of a pyschological battle. If i saw this type of rock at my table i would play any hand against him knowing he will fold anything but the nuts. You get a lot more bad hands then good ones.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:53 PM

I think playing that tight requires you to win too many big hands, that is, you cannot afford to take down only small pots with the 7% of hands that you play (and this will inevitably happen because you won't get any action at all)
Old 05-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Probably not such a simple question....it really 'depends'. However...to TRY to answer, I think MAYBE someone could win with a 11-12% VP$IP...below that I think it would be very difficult.