Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 AM

Default this is pretty bad, right

Party Poker $10/$1 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t50</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t785 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t585 (All-In).
Old 01-23-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: this is pretty bad, right

You checked, he bet, you raised, and he re-raised all-in.

What in the world did you think he had?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:34 PM

Yes, that was horrible. I can't really decide which was worse: the checkraise, or calling the allin. I suppose the call was worse.

This would be almost as terrible with AK. At level 1, never, ever, ever, ever lose your stack with 1-pair.

On the flop, there's only 2 ways to play. Option 1, bet the pot and see what happens. If raised, you are done.

Option 2, just check and let someone with A9 or KQ bet this hand for you. Call the 50 bet and go from there.

Since you are in awful position, I'd opt for option #2.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:39 PM

Yeah thought so. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:50 PM

In my opinion, Aces with a jack kicker is seldom worth going all in early in a tourney, no matter the circumstances.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Checkraising TPGK just seems like such a bad, bad idea. At this buy-in level and this early in the game, you're never going to get a better hand to fold here (Can you imagine AK folding? AQ sure isn't!) and you're only getting called if you're beat. For such a small pot it's just not worth it. Let me guess, he had 44?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker $10/$1 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t50</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t785 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t585 (All-In).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, I want to hear how it turned out. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I take it the end result wasn't good. Getting AJo in the Sb on the first hand can be a really beatch. I'm curious, why no raise preflop? I realize you would be first to act throughout the hand, but you don't really want a multi way pot and allowing four to limp you really have no way of knowing where you're at.

Let's try and figure what UTG+1 would play wih the way he did. He limps but makes a 3/4 pot size bet on a board of 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

What hand did you put him on? If he had a big Ace, you would have heard about it preflop, so I think we can rule out AKs, AKo, AQs, or AQo. I wouldn't think he would be so sneaky as to just limp with AA and the fact that you have one makes it even less likely. Same scenario with QQ. ( I would think you would have heard something preflop)

Now we're down to A4s, A4o, 44,a weaker Ax and a flush draw. He awfully ballsy if he would reraise all in against aggression with anything less then a set or Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I've seen some really weird chit at the lower buy in sng's, and I admit that I'm befuddled.

I have to agree with some of the other posts.....I don't think I would have pushed. I probably would have check called the flop bet and waited until the turn before I hit him with a check raise. If the turn looked like it didn't help anyone, maybe call him down depending on the turn action. It's the first hand, way too early to commit your whole stack unless you've got the lock.

Play well,

Husker