Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Default 2 nl books

Ok, I have read the reviews on Amazon so please don't send me a link, but I am still interested in what 2+2 people have to say. I was look looking at 2 nl cash game books. I don't want books on tournament, because I already have a bunch. I was wondering if anyone has read either of these two books, Mastering No-Limit Hold'EM and No-Limit Texas Hold'em: The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game. There are a severe lack of books on cash games and I was wondering if these were worth reading or are nothing past the Supersystem 1&2 (the only thing I have read on nl cash games) or Championship No Limit & Pot Limit Hold 'Em which I already plan on ordering.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: 2 nl books

Search is your friend
Old 07-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Don't order either of those, this book is much better.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:37 PM

Have you actually read these books?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker also has some stuff on NL cash games. Good book.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:10 PM

mastering no linit is ok, but nothing more. i would buy and read it, but don't have high expectations. your 2nd mention is a waste.

the problem is that not one exists that is really good. harrington and robertie are currently writing one, and based on their previous work i assume it will become the definitive work on nl cash games. however, if you are willing to do some serious reading, i believe you can get the background necessary, and then apply it to NL cash games. there are many good books on limit poker, tournament nl poker, and poker theory. i would real all of the following;

THEORY OF POKER by David Sklansky
Considered the top general poker book of all time. General poker concepts that you must know. A great book.

HOLD'EM POKER FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS by David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth
Considered the most important advanced work on the game today. Full of strategic concepts. A must read. However, it is not clearly written, and will take time to digest much of what is written. Sklansky is the foremost poker author in the world. You will learn an incredible amount from this book.

SMALL STAKES HOLD 'EM by Ed Miller, David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth.
A great book on small stakes Hold 'em. Not for the beginner. It incorporates a lot of the principles of the two above mentioned books ('Hold 'em for Advanced Players" and "Theory of Poker").

MIDDLE LIMIT HOLDEM by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier
Many two plus twoers this this book teaches weak tight play. However, it is still a very good book. Especially in discussing the "texture of the flop" on each hand. I find starting Nl cash game players often overlook this important concept. I like this book a lot.

CHAMPIONSHIP NO-LIMIT POT LIMIT HOLD 'EM by T.J. Cloutier & Tom McEvoy
Probably the best book on no limit. (Please note that the same authors also wrote "Championship Hold'em", which is a very different book, don't get them confused when ordering). THis book is not great, but somewhat helpful.

SUPER/SYSTEM (A Course in Poker Power) by Doyle Brunson
Many poker player simply call this the bible. The book is great, and changed the way many people play poker. The top experts in each field write about each of their games. I recommend the section no limit - it was written for cash games. However, it is poorly written, you often need to figure out what Doyle is trying to say, and it is far from comprehensive.

CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT PRACTICE HANDS by Tom McEvoy and T.J. Cloutier
Goes over hands for no limit. Tells you your options on how to play each "real" hand in different positions.

TOURNAMENT POKER FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS by David Sklansky
This work is vital for anyone playing tournaments.

HARRINGTON ON HOLD 'EM Vol I & II
These are not written for cash games, and the books deal with tournament play (where the blinds are important and are going to rise). However, they are great nl books, and will be the most helpful books for your NL cash games.

If you read all of the above, then sit in low limit cash games, you can and will learn quickly. After reading these books, play play play, and you will become a good player.

Additionally, be aware that because the blinds are so low in regard to your stack, the correct play is much tighter then in tournament play - there is no money to win by stealing the blinds.

And I might e-mail 2 +2, or Robertie, to ask when the nl cash game book will be out.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:15 PM

Thanks for actually reviewing those 2 books unlike most of the people who answered this post.Yes, I have read most of these books so maybe I am acting too agressive.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM

Is this NL cash book an actual book or just a workbook with practice problems that Dan Harringtom mentioned in Volume 2?

Is it true that David Sklansky is coming out with a NL cash game book?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:22 PM

harrington and robertie, are coming out next with vol 3 of hoh - a book of problems. plus another book about the same time, both which are currently being written and will be out in 6 months or so. then the book on nl cash games. or e-mail them and 2 + 2 to request it earlier.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 PM

I bought Mastering No Limit Hold 'Em and was very disappointed with it. I think HOH vol. 1 is a better choice even though it is about tournaments. (It is about early stages of tourneys with deeper money which are less different from cash games than later stages.)