Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Default I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

I find discussions about politics to be really annoying at any form of social gathering. It irritates me most of all at parties; I can't stand guys who somehow think the louder they talk, the more right they are. And the ones who try to impress chicks with their political knowledge and how passionate they are/how they think people who oppose them are idiots, are the actual idiots. Girls are not gonna hook up with a guy b/c of his political beliefs or how pretentious he is; in fact, most won't even talk to a guy like that. So, wtf? Thoughts on this?

And today at Thansgiving dinner there were a few political discussions where one guy somehow thought he could convince another he was wrong. These conversations seem so fruitless; no one is going to change their mind on the issue and if they do, they're not going to admit it.

I was wondering if any of you agree with me on this, or if you actually enjoy these political conversations.

Also, I do realize that this post may have come off as somewhat hostile to those of you who may actually do this, which was not the intent. I'm just curious about these conversations b/c they happen all the time and I just don't get it.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

I enjoy political conversations when I'm with close friends and we're drinking. Otherwise, you can get away with talking politics, but it has to be a sort of "political small-talk" that everyone can agree on.

"Boy. I sure do think torture is wrong."

"Indeed. I agree with that. We definitely shouldn't torture people."

"Agreed. My, this turkey is unusually good."
Old 11-24-2005, 10:45 PM

People who like politics talk about politics, people who like sports talk about sports, etc.

And both of those subjects are a lot alike in the sense that 98% of those w/ strong opinions have no idea what's going on.

I have strong political opinions on most things, and I love to talk about them, and I can tell you why. However, I am open-minded and love to have discourse w/ other open-minded people about politics.

Unfortunately, such a conversation is all too rare, usually replaced w/ mindless ripping of any opposing viewpoint. I agree w/ you in that I find THESE conversations highly annoying and pointless.

As for someone trying to impress a girl with their political savvy...generally not a good idea. I talk about politics because I enjoy doing so, not because I'm trying to impress some blonde bimbo who doesn't even know who the vice president is.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:49 PM

I'm a political science major and I completely agree.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of job are you planning to get with this major?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of job are you planning to get with this major?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, pro surfer, what else? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hah, ucsb political science major...that sounds familar. i was that, now im a ucsc economics/politics major, i pretty much hate politics though, after awhile it just turns into the same roundabout argument.

rj
Old 11-25-2005, 03:10 AM

I took a political science class and I actually found it very interesting; namely the game theory aspects of running a government.

Most of the posters mentioned a lot of the stuff that I believe. I find that it can be interesting to talk about specific issues with friends sometimes, as long as they arent deuches about it (ie-they just talk and hear opinions without freaking out about it). However, I don't think that a party atmosphere is the best place for this, nor an enjoyable dinner with friends and family.

As for the girl issue, I don't feel like people who seemingly are knowledgeable (although many times just regurgitate stuff they've heard from media sources) are necessarily smart. As someone mentioned, it's similar to discussing sports; I can name almost every player on the Bears but that doesn't entail any form of intelligence. So my conclusion for this would be that it shouldn't impress a girl and if it does, it'll be a minority of girls.

As for the guy who seemed to insinuate that I was saying "nobody should ever talk at parties!" way to make no sense there buddy.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the girl issue, I don't feel like people who seemingly are knowledgeable (although many times just regurgitate stuff they've heard from media sources) are necessarily smart. As someone mentioned, it's similar to discussing sports; I can name almost every player on the Bears but that doesn't entail any form of intelligence. So my conclusion for this would be that it shouldn't impress a girl and if it does, it'll be a minority of girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very observant and 100% correct IMO. Many a teenage girl will instinctively pick up on whether a dude's knowledge is useful or not, while a lot of 40+ dudes have no clue about what really matters, except maybe in the little microcosm they choose to operate in.

The sports analogy works nicely for me since I've been making my living betting on sports for 6 years now yet I can hardly name any players/coaches/owners etc. and usually seem rather clueless in any typical sports conversation. Dudes are constantly telling me what's really important and I just go uh-huh um-hmm and pretend I'm learning something (well actually I am learning more about what dumdums tend to bet on and what biases are likely to exist in the lines, so it helps me know what kind of things to bet AGAINST)
Old 11-24-2005, 10:50 PM

i hate people who talk. especially at parties. they think that if they talk, then girls are going to be more likely to hook up with them. MORONS! those girls are lesbos! they ain't hooking up with any of you! i've tried talking to them, and it's painfully clear they are lesbos!

*sarcasm off*

politics can be boring, but you should try reading something intelligent about it and developing a logical opinion. you'll be that more interested in politics, and that much more interesting to talk to at parties.