Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 01:08 AM

Default $55: A Stop n Go that has been bothering me

Just push preflop? Fold maybe? I figured I'd see a flop and push a non-threatening one (I know that's not an official stop n go). Villain's normal raise had been minraises since he got his stack. He wasn't particularly good.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t1925)
UTG (t1255)
Button (t3045)
SB (t3775)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t300.

Flop: (t1350) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls [t1625] , Button calls t1325.

Turn: (t2675) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2675) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2675
Old 12-03-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: $55: A Stop n Go that has been bothering me

Yeah, just push it PF - we welcome a call. No reason to give free-wheeling chip-donk a chance to see a flop containing a T,J,Q,K. You have considerable FE, and a hand that should fair well against a 'common' min-raise.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 AM

Yep, push it. But I prefer if he folds his A4s.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:11 AM

I hate to give general guidelines, but in general, you shouldn't stop and go with a stack that big. As a rough measure, if you have fold equity preflop (i.e., your push will give your opponent less than 2:1 to call), a stop and go's probably not best.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:22 AM

No way I call here. PUSH and take the pot here and now.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to give general guidelines, but in general, you shouldn't stop and go with a stack that big. As a rough measure, if you have fold equity preflop (i.e., your push will give your opponent less than 2:1 to call), a stop and go's probably not best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you hate giving general guidelines? Imo those are very important to grasp.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't thinking of my play as a stop n go really, it's just easy to type into the subject line so people get a feel for how the hand played out.

I was torn between pushing, calling, and folding because I didn't want the original raiser to call preflop with overcards. The relative stack sizes seemed awkward since the short stack wasn't incredibly short, but still had only 4 BB and had to post next hand.

I was thinking that instead of inviting a race I could see a flop. I would be able to fold a really scary flop and still be ahead of the short stack. In hindsight a push is probably the better play, I have this habit of letting people see flops in situations like these.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:31 AM

great play...i may have even check raised or check called that flop...you figure to have the best hand here a HUGE portion of the time...

nothing wrong with pushing PF either...you definately aren't folding that
Old 12-03-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't thinking of my play as a stop n go really, it's just easy to type into the subject line so people get a feel for how the hand played out.

I was torn between pushing, calling, and folding because I didn't want the original raiser to call preflop with overcards. The relative stack sizes seemed awkward since the short stack wasn't incredibly short, but still had only 4 BB and had to post next hand.

I was thinking that instead of inviting a race I could see a flop. I would be able to fold a really scary flop and still be ahead of the short stack. In hindsight a push is probably the better play, I have this habit of letting people see flops in situations like these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the problem with this line of thought stems from your fold equity preflop here. Pushing preflop is very +EV because you're very likely to have the best hand and you get some VERY valuable FE out of some overcard hands. I strongly doubt that you can get the same EV by calling preflop and playing the flop perfectly.

It's always nice to mess around with some numbers here, though, because you can learn a lot. Put your opponent on a range of hands preflop and decide what range he calls a push with so you can find the EV of pushing. Then, categorize the flops into flops that you push and flops that you check/fold and give your opponent a range of calling hands on the flops that you push. It shouldn't be that hard to get some real numbers here, although ICM makes it slightly more annoying.

If you actually do this, post the results please.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:56 AM

Crap. Messed up the ranges as I put Hero in the SB. Hang on..

Ok if he never folds his range has to be 33+,A5o+,A2s+,KQo,KTs+

10%: 33+,A7o+,A4s+,KTs+
25%: 44+,A8o+,A5s+,KJs+

it stays at about this level even if he folds the bottom 50% of his raising range.