Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Evidence that God exists

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know how many people told you everyone pre-Columbus believed the world was flat but it's very easy to determine what the real situation was. Many of the ancient Greeks believed the earth is round and even calculated the circumference fairly accurately as well as the distance to the Moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say everyone. I said many people. But it doesn't matter, read my previous post.

[ QUOTE ]

In your OP you didn't specify the God of the Bible. I believe nature testifies to the existence of a Creator, the Bible provides more specific information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say the God of the Bible in the OP, but I said it in the replies: "And it's especially not true that the existence of matter proves there is a Christian God."

But anyway, so the evidence of God is the Bible then? And why does the "Creator" of nature have to be the Christian conception of God? Couldn't it be multiple Creators for example?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said that everyone believed the world was flat. Just that lots of people at one time did. It really doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, like I say, there is some evidence that people believed that in ancient civilization (although the remnants of ancient civilization are very limited), but by the 1st or 2nd century no one believed the earth was flat.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe nobody thought the world was flat. The point is that just because many people believe X, it doesn't mean that X is correct or true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that is correct. I was just trying to fill in some holes where people might have lied to you all throughout school.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But anyway, so the evidence of God is the Bible then? And why does the "Creator" of nature have to be the Christian conception of God? Couldn't it be multiple Creators for example?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the evidence that God exists is nature, order, design. That God is the God of the Bible is partly proved by the Bible itself.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Some of the evidence that God exists is nature, order, design. That God is the God of the Bible is partly proved by the Bible itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then the existence of Allah is proven by the Koran?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this please?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:31 AM

Taraz, please reference the thread "Restating the Paradox" for an in-depth discussion of NotReady's logic in arguing that the universe is evidence for a creator. You'll find more than you ever wanted to know there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many difference between the Koran and the Bible, and many differences between each one's representation of God. They can't both be true.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many difference between the Koran and the Bible, and many differences between each one's representation of God. They can't both be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? God is infinite and therefore his reasons for creating 2 stories for 2 different cultures are beyond the capacity of your reason. You are just a man. Stop claiming to know the mind of God.

-g
Old 11-16-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God is infinite and therefore his reasons for creating 2 stories for 2 different cultures are beyond the capacity of your reason. You are just a man. Stop claiming to know the mind of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again very misled. All 3 sentences.