Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 02:08 AM

Default I knew party poker blackjack would be the end of me...

Well almost at least...

I am a student. My only income is poker. I pay all of my bills except for tuition (paid for by my parents). For nearly the past 3 months I have found it very hard to get motivated to put in the hours playing poker. Basicly my playing schedule would be play a ton for a couple days, run good, then take weeks off. I played anywhere from 2-4 to 5-10 consistently, and occasionally 10-20 when running good.

Tonight while sittin around bored playing in the 2+2 tournement on stars I decided to open up party and play a little blackjack. Six hours earlier today I had a small 10-20 BR. It took me about one hour to lose most of it. I must have seen the coldest blackjack deck in history. I basicly tilted playing blackjack, and before I knew it I was sweating making maxbets over and over, and losing almost every time.

I'm now sitting with about a $1,600 BR. I am SOOOO pissed off at myself. I am not really worried about building my BR back up as I dont see it as being much of a problem. I sometimes played 2-4 anyways when I didnt feel well or I was stressed out. I figure I can still make $25-$50/hr depending on how many tables and if I'm clearing boni. Plus it will only be a week or so of playing before I will move back up to 3-6.

I talked to my brother and he said what I did resembled the beginnings of gambling addiction. I've never had a problem like this before tonight. I dont feel poker has anything to do with it so I see no need to think about giving poker up.

Anyways basicly if I had lost my entire BR it would have been detrimental. I only have about 2.5k in my bank account. I am so lucky I stopped when I did so I still have the BR to re-build. I am still SOOOOO pissed off at myself.

I see two possibly good things coming out of this experiance. 1. It will motivate me to start putting the hours in again becasue I have to. 2. Maybe if I do have some sort of potential gambling problem this will be my wakeup call.

I dont really have anything else to say. Just venting, Id like to hear what others have to say about this.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: I knew party poker blackjack would be the end of me...

I'm not professionally qualified to give you advice on this, but my suggestion would be to find someone who is and have a chat. even if it's just one chat, I would err on the side of caution with something like this.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:13 AM

Delete the BlackJack files from the Party Software. Now.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:20 AM

Come on dude, you know that internet blackjack can't be beaten(or should know). Why were you playing in the first place?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on dude, you know that internet blackjack can't be beaten(or should know). Why were you playing in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my roommates has a system that he says works well enough to beat the BJ on bodog. The max bet on Bodog is 500 I guess and he starts with 1 dollar bets and just keeping doubling if he loses, and according to him losing 9 straight hands in a row is nearly impossible. I dont even know the basic rules of BJ though so I couldnt tell ya...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:40 AM

You're friend is the smartest man EVER!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 03:04 AM

Your friend is a retard.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your friend is a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]