Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: What low paying job did you have before poker?(or still have)

I don't want this to sound weird or anything but I am just shocked because as a college student in 2000 I made twice that working for ibm.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM

You guys might want to stay away from our special sauce tonight. Me and Pookie, we added a secret ingredient. I'll give you a hint. It's semen.

Animal semen.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:38 PM

My employment history (full and truthful unlike on all my resumes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

1) KFC - 2.5 years from age 15. Decent money, actually liked my job most of the time.

2) Officer Cadet - it was the best of times, it was the worst of times as the cliche goes. I got to do cool [censored] like firing anti-tank rockets, grenade launchers, a claymore, a GPMG, full on laser-tag training exercises. I also got to survive on 4 or 5 hours sleep a night and constantly get punished (I was somewhere between Yossarian and Private Joker) - sometimes for stuff I did, sometimes for stuff I took a fall for.

3) Selling discount cards door to door - walk around all day, make $20 or less on a bad day? Bleh.

4) Market research - 2.5 years ringing people up asking them questions about mobile phones. By the end I could conduct a survey with my eyes closed or while reading a magazine, or while recieving a blowjob - just the once unfortunately, and the quality control monitor said that I sounded a little distracted (they checked some tapes from the evening shift the next day when all the suits were in the office).

5) Museum attendant at a little museum. This job was 1337. It was right next to university, so I'd rock up between classes, sit behind the desk and count visitors (sometimes as many as 10 in an hour!) while doing my readings or playing games on the laptop (no Internet which sucked, because I also started playing some card game for money at about this time).

6) Barista / Barman / Cook at a ski hill. I also looked after the University ski lodge (massive parties every weekend - typical schedule for me was work friday till 6pm, wander 200 meters home and into a slowly developing party. Party till 3am, sleep till 6am, work till 6pm (incuding a two hour ride break), go home, scream "Honey I'm a [censored]" which was the cue for one of my buddies to get a strong vodka and coke ready for me, down that, take a beer up to the shower, shower and drink, party till 3am (and roughly 50% of the time reap the benefits of having the only private room in the building [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) sleep till 7, wake up go to work and try not to burn myself until I could go home fall asleep and be ready to ride monday and tuesday. Wednesday was pub quiz night (which my team won 2/3 of the time), thursday was payday, then we were back into the weekend.

7) Housekeeper / janitor at a different ski hill. Boss was an [censored], I was on min wage, but I got to ride every day and my co-worker was hot and great fun to be with.

8) Running an Internet business. We have a service that makes it easy to set up affiliate websites for online gambling. Good fun, finally starting to make some money.

I'm just about to start a real job in Malta working for a Swedish software company (they run online "bridge" rooms) so I think I'm done with crappy jobs (for a year or two at least until I feel the need to blow off the real world for a while).
Old 08-26-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to work for KFC making $300 a month if i was lucky... working full time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also worked fast-food fried chicken. It was actually fun, since a couple of my HS buddies worked there, and the store lost money just about every month, meaning it was empty a lot. We would seriously go from about 1:30/2-4:30 without a single customer some days, leaving plenty of time to goof off.

The lowest paying job I had, however, was working as a server at an old folks' home. They got dinner every night, selecting one of a couple choices of main dish, along with salad, dessert, etc choices, and we'd bring the food out to them. It was nice because the hours were essentially 4-7 and we could each set our own schedule. It was not nice when you'd walk by Olga and hear her mutter, "Oh, I just wet myself," or when you'd ask where Jackie was, and hear that she had to go to the hospital. And then never hear from her again.

I quit when, after a full year, instead of the "standard" quarter raise, they gave me a nickel raise and refused to budge.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:45 PM

The last job I had besides poker was at the San Diego County Fair (I had worked the 6 previous years). I'd leave my house at like 10AM to get to my job at Austrailian Battered Potatoes when the fair opened, then at 4PM I moved over to the Del Mar Cafe and made crappy sandwiches and got home at like midnight.

Yay for 14 hour days, thankfully for only 3 weeks.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 PM

Oh, and I have decided that jokerthief's avatar gets funnier every time you watch up. There are tons of subtleties in there. Good stuff.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I don't want this to sound weird or anything but I am just shocked because as a college student in 2000 I made twice that working for ibm.

[/ QUOTE ]

IBM &gt;&gt;&gt; ILC, although they're getting bigger. Honestly, there's not too much that GT co-ops can get that pays more than that in the first semester (and I've never heard of anything in the $30/hr range). If I'd stayed there, and done well, salary goes up a buck or two per hour every semester, but whatever.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:10 PM

Not to be arrogant, but I earned $3k a week before quiting to play poker full time and I have no chance of making the same playing poker. Money is not everything.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to be arrogant, but I earned $3k a week before quiting to play poker full time and I have no chance of making the same playing poker. Money is not everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes it is.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:18 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you spend $6 of that on a gallon of gas, and live in 22 hours of darkness. It all evens out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]